Behind the Scenes of Fluvanna Basketball Conditioning

December 17, 2019

Photo courtesy of Fluvanna Photos

John Rittenhouse pushing down the court against Spotsylvania

Ayden Bland, Chris Whittle, and freshman Quamir Payne are all members of the Fluvanna County High School JV and varsity basketball teams.

Before the start of the season, every Tuesday and Thursday these boys go to basketball conditioning to better themselves for the upcoming basketball season. “Running, lifting weights, shooting, defending, and stamina are all things we work on and do in practice to better on my game,” said Bland.

After a long break between seasons, these athletes enjoys getting back in shape. “I like to practice because it helps me get in shape. It feels good to lose weight,” said Payne. “I am very excited for the new season,” he added. In addition to getting back into shape, these athletes enjoy the activity that practices bring. “I think practice is fun and a new opportunity to get myself ready for the new season. Along with me playing every day at home I am ready for the season,” said Bland. “Practice is great. It helps me get better,” added Whittle.

Drills are a big part of the Flucos basketball practices so the players can work on specific parts of the game. In Whittle’s case, he prefers possession drills. “The 11-man drill is my favorite because you can always have the ball. It is like a scrimmage and an amazing way to show your skills and improve them,” he said. As for Bland, he prefers shooting drills. “I can work on my form and efficacy.” Overall, these drills help improve their game by bettering certain skills through targeting techniques.

Hard work and practice outside of school is another good way to get better. Panye starts by “going outside and running, then [goes] to Carysbrook and the YMCA to work on shooting almost everyday.” The extra work can also help with the fundamentals of the game such as ball handling. “I have been going to the gym and working on my ball handling and shooting, then trying to jump higher so I can dunk,” said Whittle.

“It is not a guarantee to make the team if you go to conditioning, but it will help you build chemistry with the coaches and you can practice your game,” said freshman Will Davis, another student that goes to conditioning.

Looking into the JV team, there are no big changes this year under Riley House, but sophomore Blaise Silverman notes that the team has never been closer. As for the biggest competition this season, Western Albemarle seems to be at the top of the list because of how well they can move the ball. Regardless of the challenges the team might face, Silverman says, “We can expect a very good season.”

As for varsity, junior Kobe Edmonds says the team is very excited for this season. With a hopeful outlook on the rest of the season, Edmonds adds that Charlottesville with most likely be their biggest competition. Edmonds adds that goals for their season include “going on to win districts and hopefully get to states”.

Both interviewees agree that the player to watch this season is junior John Rittenhouse something. With both teams having a 2-0 win/loss record, their future in this season is looking bright.