Fluvanna Sports in Review 4/26

April 29, 2019

Photo+courtesy+of+Fluvanna+Sports+Photography+

Photo courtesy of Fluvanna Sports Photography

Tennis

The Lady Flucos game against Louisa on April 23 was part of a complete sweep of the opposing teams across all sports. Girls’ tennis beat Louisa by an overall score of 7-2, with wins in singles from senior Adora Gamage (9-7), junior Sarah White (9-7), freshman Anja Bajs (8-2), senior Lydia Napier (8-2), and sophomore Molli White 8-3. In doubles, Sarah White and Nika Ackenbom took second with (8-5), and Molli White and Bajs took third with a (8-4) score.

The boys’ team also took a win against Louisa on April 23, with big single wins from senior Eugene Chow and sophomore Billy Ruffa. The match ended in dramatic fashion, with the team having to win a doubles match from a tie, which the Flucos took in the end, reaching 7 points first. “This definitely shows that we’re getting better this season. Multiple comeback wins have show that we’re learning and going to be successful,”  said Coach Mitchell Pace.

The girls’ tennis team hosted top rival Monticello on April 25. According to Coach Feda Morton, it was a “historic day for the Lady Flucos as they won three matches, the most they have won in recent years against Monticello.  The final score was 3-6 Mustangs, but Morton noted that “two very close matches could have easily gone our way.”

In singles, Sarah White at #2 and Anja Bajs at #3 won 8-4 and 8-6, respectively. Sixth seed Molli White #6 tied (8-8) and lost the tied breaker (7-2).  In doubles, Lydiah Napier and Molli White won (8-4), while Sarah and Anja dropped a very close match 8-6 at the end. The team’s overall record is 6-4.

Softball

The JV softball team took a loss during their game against Louisa on April 23, going 11-2. Freshman Shelby Clements said “I think we need to pick ourselves up when we get that low, and need to keep going.”  In another game held on April 26, the JV team took a loss with a score of 15-4. “We didn’t play like we normally do. We just had an off day. Personally, I was a little off. Mistakes are like a chain reaction,” said freshman Laci Kelley.

The varsity Lady Flucos took a win at Louisa at their away game on April 23. The game was a 0-0 tie until the 5th inning, when Senior Gracie Walton hit two runs, then made another in the 6th inning. “We had a really good game,” said Walton, adding “Catera Marsh had a really amazing play in center field, and Lindsey Ward had a huge diving catch.”

Girls’ Soccer

Varsity Girls soccer took on Louisa on April 22. The game was moved to an earlier time than the team was used to, forcing the team to play in much warmer weather. Sophomore Kaitlin Bower scored the first goal in five minutes into the match. After staying tied for the majority of the match, senior Madi Nazar scored in the last four minutes, bringing the score to 2-1 and a win for the Flucos. “We played really hard and worked well together,” said Nazar. In their second game of the week, the Lady Flucos lost in a home game against Monticello by a score of 3-0.

The JV team also played a home game against Monticello, where they tied after a long battle with a score of 1-1. In the first half, nobody on either side scored, but 20 minutes into the second half, the Flucos were able to score a goal off of a penalty kick. Unfortunately, right after that, the Monticello team scored a goal of their own. “We played a lot harder than the previous game. We didn’t know what to expect going into the game because we lost against them earlier in the season,” said sophomore Gracie McWilliams.

Boys’ Soccer

Varsity’s game against Louisa on April 22 brought the team a major win, with a 6-0 victory. “We knew going in that we were the better team, and that we just needed to play hard,” said senior Finn McLaughlin. The first half of the game brought one goal for the Flucos, but the real success came in the second. “The first half didn’t go as planned, but we worked for what we were going to do in the second half,”  McLaughlin said.

Baseball

The JV team took a loss at Louisa on April 23. At the third inning, the team was losing 0-2, but managed a comeback thanks to Nathan Dieter, Pierson Barnabei, and Daniel Campbell who all hit doubles, bringing the score to 5-2. However, in the end, the Flucos lost 9-5. In the April 25 game, the team won by a score of 11-8 in a home game against Monticello. “We started off slow, but towards the end of the game we made a comeback and I was relieved when we won the game,” said freshman Augustus Jones.

Meanwhile, varsity took a major win at Louisa on April 23. Junior Kevin Ward pitched the entire game, striking out nine, with a final score of 2-0. In their second game on April 25, the team won by a landslide, with a score of 11-0. “The bats finally heated up, and we hit the ball better than we have been. We came into the game confident that we were going to win,” said sophomore John Travis.

Track

The track meet held on April 24 was more of an informal duel between Orange and Fluvanna since the Flucos have Districts coming up next week. Still, the Flucos came out on top of Orange. In the throwing events, junior Eli Hartzog got first in shot put and discus, senior Joshua Elliott got second in shot put, and sophomore Aydon Duenas got forth in shot put. “Personally, it’s been a rough season, but I’m glad I’m still able to compete,” said Duenas.

Coach Rose Brogan noted that the team did very well overall and a few individuals also earned a few personal records. “We had the advantage being on our track,” junior Kieri Hart explained. “You feel more confident on your own track. The heat was bad. I was really happy with my 200, but could have done better in the mile and long jump,” she added.

Boys’ Lacrosse

In anticipation for their away game against Monticello on April 25, sophomore Jacob Collier said, “Going into this game we’ve had some doubts about Monticello, but our energy is incredible and I think we can take a w[in].” Reality, however, struck hard, as team took another devastating loss to the Monticello team, with a score of 19-2.

The JV team also played an away game against Monticello where they lost, with a score of 1-6. “We played well, but we need to work on defense,” said freshman Joseph Sawyer in speculation of the game.

Girls’ Lacrosse

The Lady Flucos game against Orange went sour on April 24, with a loss of 8-17.

Senior Sadie Connor said “We got outrun, and we just need to come together as a team to win in the future.”