Varsity Lacrosse team photo courtesy of Kenward

Fluvanna Sports in Review 3/11

Girls’ Tennis

The girls’ tennis team started off strong with a 8-1 victory over Waynesboro on March 11. According to senior Adora Gamage, the positive results of this first match of the season “reflected how hard we’ve been working.” The Lady Flucos singles winners for the match included the following:  #1 seed Adora Gamage, #2 seed Sarah White, #3 seed Anja Bajs, #4 seed Lydia Napier, #5 seed Nika Ackenbom, and #6 seed Saige Patchett. Meanwhile, the doubles teams of Gamage and White, as well Ackenbom and Bajs, also secured wins for the night, putting them in a good position for their upcoming rematch against Waynesboro on March 18.

Boys’ Tennis

While the girls’ team had a positive beginning to their season, the boys’ tennis team kicked off their season with a rough start, enduring a 0-9 away loss against Waynesboro on March 11. Coach Mitchell Pace said the team “started the season with a strong effort from all six seeds, but were unable to come away with the victory.” Undeterred by the loss, #1 seed Billy Ruffa looked forward to March 18, noting, “We get to play [Waynesboro] again and I think we can improve.”

Girls’ Lacrosse

It was a busy week for the girls’ lacrosse teams, as they had two games in the week of March 11, and both of them were tough matchups for the Flucos. “Having two games was hard on the team,” said senior Kyra Shelley, who is one of three team captains. Their first game against Powhatan concluded with a loss of 1-18, while their second game, against Patrick Henry, ended with a loss of 4-24.  “[We] did better on some things in the first game, and then did worse on those things in the second game, while doing better at what we did worse on in the first game,” said Shelley.

The Patrick Henry game was particularly hard on the Flucos as one of their starters, sophomore Anna Snoddy, was unable to start. “[The] first half was all over the place. [During the] second half we got better and started to communicate,” said junior Charlie Lasocki. Looking forward to future games, including a March 22 rematch against Patrick Henry, Shelley said “We’re going to get better. There is hope.”

Boys’ Lacrosse

Boys’ lacrosse also had two games the week of March 11, both of them away. First, they took on Powhatan on March 12, losing to the Indians 1-19. “Powhatan had a lot of good players that contradicted ours. They were our kryptonite,” said senior Kent Snoddy. The Flucos improved somewhat at the next game on March 14 against Patrick Henry, losing 6-14. “It shows we are progressing faster,” said Snoddy, adding that, “we’ve gotten better and have raised our confidence.” Overall, team members are optimistic about their chances moving forward. “If we keep playing like we know we can, we can do something that hasn’t been done for a few years,” said Snoddy.

Girls’ Soccer

On March 11, the varsity team kicked off their 2019 season with a strong start. The girls hosted Waynesboro, capturing a solid win, beating the Little Giants 4-1. Sophomore Kelsey Herring scored two goals, sophomore Kaitlin Bower made one goal, and freshman Cristina Valladares scored one goal. “I feel like my team and I played very well. It was a great win to start our season,” said Valladares.

The JV team preceded the varsity team on the field earlier that evening, and also got a win for their first game of the season, beating Waynesboro 3-0. Freshman Jada Morton, sophomore Sam Clark, and sophomore Tallon Solga each scored one goal. Both teams planned to travel to Waynesboro on March 18 for a rematch.

Baseball

The varsity team had a scrimmage against Chancellor on March 14. It was a tight game between the Chargers and the Flucos, but at the end, Fluvanna pulled off a solid win with juniors Andrew and Kevin Ward both doing their part by hitting home runs. “Chancellor is a pretty good team, but we came out hard and played pretty well,” said Andrew Ward.

The JV team also caught a win in a scrimmage against Chancellor, beating the Chargers 15-4. Sophomores Daniel Campbell and Pierson Barnabie both had doubles, as did freshman Bryson Baberm while freshman Grant Brown had a double and a single.

Varsity next looked to host Spotsylvania, the former state champions, on March 18, while the JV team planned to face the Knights at home that night. Both teams will play Harrisonburg at home on March 22.

Softball

The Lady Flucos varsity team faced the Chancellor Knights at home on March 14. The girls fought hard, but ended up losing to the Knights 5-1. Despite that loss, team members focused on their highlights, which included junior Kendra Paschall, sophomore Lindsey Ward, senior Catera Marsh, and sophomore Calista Marsh all hitting singles. “Our defense was pretty good, but we need to work on communication if we want to improve,” said Paschall.

The JV girls hosted a close ball game against the Knights on March 14, beating Chancellor with a walk-off hit to win the game 4-3. Eighth grader Santrice Rush, freshman Alyssa Taylor, and freshman Shelby Clements all hit doubles, while eighth grader Braelyn Via hit a game-winning single. Both teams set their sights on hosting Spotsylvania on March 18, followed by a game against Harrisonburg on March 20. The varsity team will participate in a Richmond tournament March 22-23.