Fluvanna Sports in Review 2/22

February 25, 2019

Junior Nevaeh Ivory driving up the court at the varsity game against W. Monroe on 11/30. Photo courtesy of Fluvanna Sports Photography.

Boys’ Track

On  Feb. 16, the boys’ track team placed second in Regionals. The following athletes placed well and were named All-Region: Ethan Yancey (4th in Pole Vault) Ledric Reid (3rd in 55 Hurdles); Cameron Holland (6th in Triple Jump); Eli Hartzog (3rd in Shot Put); Eric White (4th in 500m); Christian Holland (2nd in Triple Jump and 3rd in Long Jump); and Colby Martin (3rd in Triple Jump, 4th in Hurdles, and 5th in Long Jump).

Yancey, Holland, Reid, Holland and Martin, as well as Eli Hartzog and Jared Newman, went on to represent Fluvanna at the state meet on Feb. 22 and 23 at Salem. Dante Eddings, who placed 1st in the 55m and 4th in Long Jump, also joined them in the state meet. Eddings says he credits his success to “hardwork and dedication” along with “just staying healthy and stuff like that.”

Girls’ Track

The girls’ indoor track team placed third in the regional meet on Feb. 16 at Heritage High School. The following girls received All Regional honors: Kaitlin Bower in the 55m dash and Long Jump. Kieri Hart in the 500m dash; Emily Beckman in the 3200m run and 1600m run; Shea Hart in the 55m Hurdles and High Jump; Kieri Hart, Shea Hart, Bower, and Tallon Solga  in the 4×200 relay; Skyler Solga, Hattie Lintecum, Tallon Solga, and Kieri Hart in the 4x400m relay; Emily Smeds, Lintecum, Summer Craig and Anja Vernatter in the 4x800m relay; and Ashlee Pieno in Pole Vault. Amina Wilson was the Regional Champion in Pole Vault.

Kieri and Shea Hart, Bower, Pieno, Wilson, Beckman, Lintecum, Smeds, and Craig then moved on to the state meet at Salem on Feb. 22-23. Beckman admitted to being “nervous, but mostly excited,” while adding that she had been “working hard trying to do whatever I can to get there.”

Girls’ Basketball

Coming off of a long and successful season, the varsity Lady Flucos finally ended their run with a loss in their Regional game against Spotswood on Feb. 19. The score was 48-73. Although they lost, junior NeVaeh Bishop had her peak night for three pointers.

Coach Chad White said, “It’s been a very good year. I think we surprised a lot of people as of how far we made it.”  He added that “It’s a great group of girls that I love, and I’m proud of the [season] ended.”

Boys’ Basketball

After a challenging few months, the varsity Flucos’ boys lost their final game against Heritage High School in Lynchburg on Feb. 15 by a score of 37-64. Drew Pace scored 13 points and Kobe Edmonds scored 12 points. “We started off really well. We were up 10-4, but the pressure wore us down and we missed a lot of shots we normally make,” said Head Coach Jason Davis.

Davis added, “This team was special, because they refused to stop competing. A lot of close losses during the season could have made us give up, but this team rallied and played their best ball at the end of the year. Making it to a regional game was a just reward for the hard work these 12 young men put in.”

Wrestling

Two Flucos made it all the way to the Varsity State Wrestling Tournament on Feb. 14. Senior Ethan Vernatter and sophomore Shawn Metcalf both went 1-2 at the event. While they didn’t place, Vernatter said they put on a “Pretty good show, though, I think.” “I could’ve been better. I didn’t live up to my potential, but it’s okay, I’ve got two more years to train and get better,” said Metcalf.

Spring Sports

With winter sports ended, and the only team left in active competition being the Speech & Forensics team, which heads to Super Regionals on March 2, the Flucos are in the process of shifting to their spring season. Tryouts were the week of Feb. 18, with the first scheduled spring game being a varsity girls’ soccer scrimmage on March 2 at Monticello.

View Comments(1)
Photo of Maddy Eubank
Maddy Eubank, Fluco Beat Editor

Maddy is a senior in her second year of Journalism. She likes to write and hang out with her friends.

• L

Larry ShackelfordFeb 27, 2019 at 5:41 PM

Maddy,

Your literary skills are amazing. If you like it keep it rolling.

You make a lot of folks proud (including me).

Love ya,

Papa Larry

Reply
1