Fluvanna Sports in Review 10/27

October 30, 2017

Cheerleaders during their performance at the 3A Regional Cheer Competition on Oct. 26. Photo courtesy of Fluvannaphotos.com

Volleyball  

Last week, the Fluvanna volleyball team faced two of their biggest rivals, the Powhatan Indians and the Albemarle Patriots. On Oct. 24 the Lady Flucos took on Powhatan at home, achieving mixed results.  The JV team beat the Indians 2-1, combining great digs, fierceness at the net, and compelling sets. One team member, sophomore Hali Morris, said “ the best feeling is when you block a ball. It always seems to get the team excited.”

To start off the varsity game, FCHS junior Kristen Patterson surprised the Fluco fans by singing the National Anthem. “None of us knew she could sing, and then when she sang she was really good. This made our hearts happy to see her hidden talent,” said freshman Lindsey Ward.

The game itself had the fans energized by close scores in each set. However, by the end of the night the varsity team had lost 3-1 against the Indians. “We worked as a team and didn’t allow anything to get to our heads. Although there were several bad calls by the refs, we pushed through and still continued to fight. It was a tough loss, but we remained united as one,” said sophomore McKenzie Moore.

Two nights later, the Lady Flucos were away at Albermarle for some intense matches. The JV team set their sights high for this game, as it was the last of the season. Albemarle entered the gym undefeated, and the Flucos challenged them with two tight matches. In the first set, the score was 21-25, with the second set ended 26-28, with the Flucos falling to the Patriots.  “It’s sad to say that the season is over, because all of us as a team have done so well this year,” said sophomore Sarah White. Overall, the JV record for the 2017 season was 10-4 in the district.

Meanwhile, the varsity lady Flucos also had a tough night playing against their own undefeated Albemarle opportunity. In the first set, the Flucos lost by a score of 16-25, but they came back in the second set and beat the Patriots 25-21. The third and fourth sets didn’t go as planned for the Flucos, as they lost 13-25 and 9-25.

Despite the regular season being over, the varsity team continued practicing to prepare for their conference match on Oct. 30 against Western Albemarle. “I’m really excited we get to continue playing and I’m super excited to see how conference turns out,” said sophomore Evynne Stafford.

Varsity Football

On Oct. 20, the Flucos faced the Albemarle Patriots at the Fluvanna homecoming football game. The Flucos fought hard in the first quarter, pulling off a strong defense and keeping Albemarle in the in-zone. In the third quarter, the Flucos scored a touchdown with a pass thrown by junior Nathan Smith and run by junior Prophett Harris which made the score 6-21. “This was the best game we’ve played in awhile. We were physical and aggressive. We just needed to stick with that through the whole game,” said Coach Mitchell Pace.  

Unfortunately for the Flucos, they ultimately lost the game and also walked off the field with three injured players, including junior Daori Green, who had a badly sprained ankle. “I’m happy I will be cleared to play for our last football game against Louisa,” Green said. Junior Colby Martin torn the PCL in his knee, while senior Justin Lamb also had a leg injury.  “I’m sad that the bonding we have made is coming to an end because the season is almost over,” said Lamb, who added, “I’m also heartbroken that I can’t help our team attempt going to the playoffs.”

By the end of the evening, the Flucos had lost the Western game 9-43, a loss which eliminated their spot in the playoffs.

While the season is counting down with only one game left, the Flucos hope to improve their record of 2-7. Many Flucos have another year of playing, while others could be facing the last game in their high school career. “I don’t ever want this season to end. It’s my senior year. I’m gonna cry,” said quarterback Ethan Graves.

The Flucos will play at home against Louisa Nov. 3. In preparation for that event, the FCHS Athletic Dept and the Fluco Club are raising money to make a presentation that night to Coach Mark Fischer who is coaching his last game for Louisa and suffering from a terminal illness (Multiple Myeloma). Fluco Athletic Director Scott Morris said FCHS would like to collect as much as possible and present the American Cancer Society a check in the name of Coach Fischer and FCHS.  He is asking fans to wear maroon that night to honor Coach Fischer.  If you would like to donate, contact Morris at [email protected] or call FCHS at 434-589-3666.

JV Football

On Oct. 25, the JV football team faced the Western Albemarle Warriors at home. In the first three quarters, the Flucos were ahead by 35-3. Then they appeared to let their foot off the gas instead of continuing running the ball, allowing the Warriors to nail down a final score of 35-23. Sophmore Leukas Kozan, who recently returned from being out with a broken leg, scored three out of four of the touchdowns. “Pain is temporary, pride is forever,” he said.

Overall, the Flucos were able to take pride in their fact that their defense did their best and they finished their runs. “Positive attitude is the key to success,” said sophomore Malachi Hill.

Competition Cheer

The Flucos hosted the 3A Regional Cheer Competition at the FCHS gym on Oct. 26. The Flucos faced six different teams– Brookville, Rustburg, Monticello, Fort Defiance, and Broadway– and placed 6th out of 8 teams. This is the first time the girls have been to Regionals in two years. “I did my best and I’m sure the other girls did too. I’m just happy we got this far,” said senior NaRayel Daniels. Even though the girls didn’t qualify for States, they are still happy they got as far as they did.

Cross Country

The cross country team competed against six different schools at Pleasant Grove for Districts on Oct. 25. The Lady Flucos won the district meet, beating Western Albemarle by one point and advancing onto Regionals. Among the Lady Flucos who placed were 8th grader Emily Smeds (2nd), senior Saige Haney (5th), freshman Emily Beckman (11th), sophomore Hattie Lintecum (12th), senior Kristen Cabrera (17th), freshman Anja Vernatter (30th) and junior Brianna Parker (36th). “I liked that the weather was cool and it was also my birthday. I had a much better time on this course than I did at the beginning of the season,” said Beckman.

Fluco athletes Smeds, Haney, Beckman and Lintecum were also named All-District.

Although the Fluvanna boys team did not place in the district meet, Jack Rice, who celebrated Senior Night at the event, came in 11th place. “I’m really happy with yesterday’s outcome,” he said the next day.

ACE

The ACE, or Academic, team had their first meet of the season against Charlottesville High School on Oct. 25, where they competed against three different teams.  In all three matches, senior Austin Young and juniors Liam Bridge, Cyrus Conti, and Bayley Leyshon started the first toss-up round. (The matches are composed of a toss-up round with 15 questions). The Flucos came in third place, beating Louisa 215 to 185, but losing to Western Albemarle 270 to 150, and to Monticello 195 to 155. “We did very well for our first match of the season, scoring 520 points in total in all three matches,” said Leyshon.