Senior Madison Stoltz celebrating with her team on Senior night Oct. 19. Photo courtesy of Fluvannaphotos.com

Fluvanna Sports in Review 10/20

October 25, 2017

Football

The varsity team went up against Powhatan on Oct. 13, and after a hard-fought game, lost 35-0 to the Indians. The team agreed that they need to work further more and improve their communication. “We were working more on getting the ball, or making the tackle than making the play,” said junior Colby Martin. “We need to work on making smarter plays,” said senior Peyton Symmers. After the Flucos’ Homecoming game against Albemarle on Oct. 20, they will next take on Western Albemarle on Oct. 27.

Meanwhile, the JV team took on Albemarle on Oct. 17. It was a major victory for the Flucos, as they nailed the Patriots by a score of 28-0. “We did good, executed on the ball, tackling well, and reading their plays. We stayed physical and kept our minds on the game,” said 8th Grader Elijah Bullock.  Sophomore Eli Hartzog felt that their attention to detail made the difference. “The little things make the big things happen,” he said. The JV team’s next game is Oct. 25 at home against Western Albemarle.

Volleyball

The varsity team managed to come out with two back-to-back wins last week. They beat Orange 3-0 on Oct. 17, then moved on to mow down Charlottesville on Oct.19. “We showed our strength, worked together and continuously played to our level,” said junior Christina Walker.  She said that the most important thing for her was “staying optimistic in times of adversity.” Meanwhile, senior Abby Sherman said “We really focused on our level and keeping our energy up, as well as keeping the rhythm right from the beginning.” The week of Oct. 23 will be another busy week for both teams, as they have games on Oct. 24 against Powhatan at home, and Oct. 26 away at Albemarle.

JV Volleyball had a really successful week as well with their own two wins. On Oct. 17 they beat Orange with a 2-0 victory, and followed it up with a 2-1 win against Charlottesville on Oct. 19. According to 8th grader Allyson Lounsbury, “It went good. We were supportive of each other,” while sophomore Loren Black said the most important thing was “keeping our heads up no matter what.” Their next game will be Oct. 24 home against Powhatan.

Cross Country

On Oct. 14, the Fluvanna cross country team competed at the Albemarle Invitational at Panorama Farms. The Fluco girls placed fourth overall. The sun was shining and there were many tough hills throughout the course, but freshman Emily Beckman managed to shave four seconds off her PR (personal record) with a time of 20:45.  Many of the other Lady Flucos were pleased with their times as they focused on trying to make their own PR’s. As junior Emily Goodson noted, the goal was to “Do what you can do, don’t hold back, and give it all you got.”

Only one of the Fluco boys was able to race in the event:  junior Ethan Vernatter. Still, he got a time of 21:29, which was a PR for him.

Four days later, the cross country team faced Louisa, with the Lady Flucos taking first place. Junior Lexie Campbell, who got a time of 25:51, said “I think everybody did well, [but] there is room for improvement.”

Next up for the team will be their District meet on Oct. 25 at Pleasant Grove.

Competition Cheer

The Lady Fluco cheerleaders had a district cheer competition at Powhatan High School on Oct. 18. Freshman Ellie Miles said their goal was to “be calm, just know our limits, and know what we can do.”  Senior Madison Stafford said this was one of their best performances this season. “They went out there and did the routine to the best of their ability. The cheerleaders brought a lot of energy out there and spirit,” she said.

When the evening came to a close, the girls had placed third in the competition, a finish which qualified them for Regionals, which will be held on Oct. 26 at FCHS.

Theatre

The Fluco Theatre team will perform their One Act play, “The Amazing Angel-Man,” at the Virginia Theatre Association (VTA) sub-region competition on Oct. 25-27 in Norfolk. In preparation for the competition, they performed the play on Oct. 19 and 20 at FCHS.

“The Amazing Angel-Man” is about a child named James who has the rare disorder of Angel-Man syndrome, a neurodevelopmental disorder that causes problems with speech and mobility, and affects one in every 12,000 children.

The cast, which is under the direction of Theatre teacher Craig Edgerton, features Cameron Taylor in the title role, and students Alex Logan, Mia Gonzales, Sydney Small, Kate Moncure, Paul Nazari, Conner Small, Justin Hamill, Mia La Rochelle, and Kristen Pace. The stage crew includes Breanna Swain and Emily Sprouse.