Fluvanna Sports in Review 10/13

October 16, 2017

The Flucos huddle to discuss their next play. 
Photo courtesy of Flying Fluco Sports Shots

The Flucos huddle to discuss their next play. Photo courtesy of Flying Fluco Sports Shots

Football

The Fluvanna Varsity Football team visited Charlottesville High School on Oct. 6. The boys played a hard-fought game, but came out with a disappointing loss to the Charlottesville Black Knights, who beat the Flucos 6-76. “We need to fix the little things so the big things just fall in place,” said junior Darnell Creasy.

Meanwhile, the boys’ JV football team took on Powhatan on Oct.11. “Powhatan scored early on in the game, but after that, Fluvanna locked it down,” said freshman Hayden Yowell, who noted that they managed to keep Powhatan’s win to just 7-0. “We played well, [although] a little slow in the first-half, but then got our heads together and clamped down on Powhatan,” said sophomore Malachi Hill. Sophomore Michael Brown added that the team needs to work on not letting their emotions dictate how they play.

Looking forward to their Oct. 13 game against Powhatan, senior Peyton Carbee said that they were feeling ready for the game “because we know how they work.” He added that if they won against Powhatan they’d go to the playoffs.  

Volleyball

The Lady Flucos faced the Louisa County Lions on Oct.10. “It was a redemption game from the last time we played. We played as a team, stayed positive, and stayed focused, and it worked in our favor,” said senior Abby Searcy. The varsity girls walked away with a win over Powhatan by beating them 3-0. “We came together as a team and played to our full potential,” said senior Savannah Quinn.

Two nights later, they faced Monticello at home, taking a tough loss of 3-0. The girls blamed each other for mistakes they made, as well as not communicating with one another. “We play better when we play to our full potential,” said freshman Lindsey Ward.  Junior Delaney Reed felt that they weren’t moving their feet to get the ball. “[We] play aggressively, not angrily,” she said.

The JV girls won their match as well–beating Louisa 2-1–but not in the way that they wanted. “We didn’t communicate very well. We let our nerves get to us,” said freshman Amy Glowatch. Her teammate, sophomore Hali Morris, added that they came into the game with too much confidence and that having more drive throughout the game would’ve helped a lot.

On Oct. 12, the JV girls played a better game against Monticello at home, beating the Mustangs 2-0. The girls communicated well and their teammates on the bench did their best to encourage the girls on the court. Sophomore Maddie Grubbs, who got four kills in the game, led her team with 25 points on the first set. She was pleased with the result, and is looking forward to continuing to improve their defense and make sure that they do not fall into playing down to their opponents’ level. “I want to finish the season off with a win and having a good score,” she said. .

Cross Country

The boys’ cross country team visited Monticello on Oct.11. Senior Jack Rice was the only boy to place in the top 10 for the 5k meter run. Rice placed 9th with a time of 19:44. As for the girls, they placed first overall in the meet. For the 5k run, the Lady Flucos dominated the top 10 with the following girls placing: freshman Emily Smeds (1st place with a time of 20:23); senior Saige Haney (2nd place with a time of 21:54); freshman Emily Beckman (3rd with a time of 22:12); senior Kristen Cabrera (4th with a time of 22:45); sophomore Hattie Lintecum (5th with a time of 23:08); freshman Summer Craig (9th with a time of 24:06); and junior Brianna Parker (10th with a time of 24:07). “I ran the course last year, so I expected myself to do well,” said Smeds. She added that when she ran by Coach Rose Brogan she told her “You have this!” and that gave her a boost to finish strong.