Photo courtesy of Fluvanna Sports Photography

A cap toss at a previous Fluco graduation on the football field.

Senior Events You Don’t Want to Miss

May 4, 2022

With Graduation coming ever closer, there are a number of events that seniors need to know.
Here’s a recap, plus some tips for seniors.

Senior Trip
This year’s senior trip will be on Friday, May 6, to Baltimore, Maryland. They will see a baseball game with the Royals vs. Orioles and have a trip on a ferry, then have time to shop and look around the harbor. Seniors who have signed up for the trip must be at the school by 6:30 am. They will arrive back at the school at approximately 2:30 am.

Senior Walk
The senior walk is on May 13. Graduates will depart FCHS around 9 am and come back to FCHS around 10:30 am. The senior walk is when the seniors go to the other Fluvanna County public schools to say their last goodbyes to the buildings and teachers, seniors will visit Central, Carysbrook, and Fluvanna Middle School in their cap and gowns.

Graduation Practice
Graduation practice is on Thursday, May 19, from 9 am to 11 am at the FCHS football field. They will practice lining up, walking into the field, and go over the order of the ceremony. Bring water, games to distract yourself, dress casual, and wear sunscreen.

After-Practice “Trip”
Since the usual senior trip to Graves Mountain Lodge was canceled due to lack of interest, there will be another senior “trip” after graduation practice on May 19 at Pleasant Grove. It’s a picnic, right after practice, so it takes place around 11 am. If you paid for the Graves Mountain Lodge trip, you, as well as one friend, will be free of charge. If you did not pay the fee for the Graves Mountain Lodge, you will need to pay $10 by May 13 (to Coach Jason Davis or Coach Mitchell Pace) for food and drinks. Seniors can bring speakers for music and lawn games for entertainment. There will also be access to the river if seniors want to get into the river.

Graduation
Graduation is on Friday, May 20. Graduation starts sharp at 6 pm, so seniors need to be at the football field by 4:30 pm. The later you arrive, the tougher it will be to find parking, so this is one event seniors should not be late to.

Seniors are expected to be well-dressed under their caps and gowns. Dress semi-professional, meaning no jeans, no tennis shoes, no spiked heels (wedges are fine), and no beach flip flops or slides. Administration requests that you wear a dress or dress pants and a collared shirt.

Reminder: Pay your fees.

If you have any unpaid fees you will not be allowed to walk at graduation, so it’s very important that you check Powerschool to see if you have any unpaid fees and get them paid as soon as possible. “For years, I have done parking duty at the front of the school for graduation, and I can’t tell you how many times, five or ten minutes before students need to be on the field, that they coming roaring up to the front office, jump out of their car in their cap and gown, and run in to see the bookkeeper and pay their fees. Believe me, they won’t let you graduate if you have unpaid fees,” said teacher Elizabeth Pellicane.
If you have unpaid fees see bookkeeper Angela Brown in the front office to pay them.