How the Virus Changed Fashion

February 26, 2021

Do you remember March 13, 2020? Where were you? What were you doing? What were you wearing?

Many things have changed since that day almost a year ago, and fashion is definitely one of them. Whether your fashion changed for the better or the worse, you may well have the pandemic to thank for the change.

Social media outlets like Instagram and TikTok have increasingly had a large impact on society, but when the pandemic gave people extra time to scroll through their favorite platform, the influence of these outlets only grew. “I have had a lot of time to spend on social media, maybe a little bit too much, and seeing other people’s fashion inspired me to find my own style,” said FCHS sophomore Emma Ward.

Another popular platform for style inspiration is Pinterest. Pinterest heps users to get inspiration from other users, and “pin” the posts they want to save. This allows users to go back and visit their “pins” when they are ready to change up their style.

Much like Ward, sophomore Taylor Peck found her style evolving thanks to social media sites like Pinterest. “I started following people with a style similar to the one I wanted, and slowly started changing my style to mimic them,” Peck said.

Being cooped up thanks to quarantine meant that many people found themselves watching new shows and movies. Fashion has changed over the years, and older shows and movies can act as a time capsule for those changes. “I have always loved old movies, and the way they dress in them, and the pandemic has given me time to make my style more vintage and similar to theirs,” Peck said.

The pandemic affected many people’s daily routines, and the way that they lived their lives. Places of work closed, schools and other public places closed, and “stay at home orders” were placed. Zoom and Google meets became the main source of socializing and the safest way of working and going to school for many around the world.

When meetings for work and school became primarily online, and the only part of people seen was their shirt, traditional business fashion found itself on the back burner. A “business on the top, comfy on the bottom” style became popular and was even featured in some advertisements on television. This style is made up of a blouse or suit on the top, but sweats or pajamas on the bottom.

According to the Washington Post article, some of the ways the pandemic is changing fashion and beauty trends include the following:

Sales of high heels, loafers and other dress shoes tumbled
Sales of men’s and women’s dress shoes fell 70% in March and April
Business attire sales are down
Sales of eye makeup–including mascara and false eyelashes–rose, while lipstick sales declined
Sales of pajamas and slippers, as well as “comfort” shoes like Uggs and Crocs are up

While some people may have continued to wear their work and school attire around home, comfort has become key. The Washington Post notes that “Silicon Valley chic,” defined as “hoodies paired with blazers, and sweatpants with silky tops” has become popular.

Meanwhile, students like Ward have also opted for a more comfortable look. “I definitely have more leggings and hoodies than I used to, since that is mostly what I wear when I’m at home,” she said.

As times continue to change, Covid numbers decrease, vaccines are produced, and students beginning to go back to school, will fashion continue to change in the same ways…or revert back to the old styles? Or will a more relaxed style continue to be a trend? Only time will tell.