Photo Courtesy of Savannah Morris

A picture of Outer Banks beach in North Carolina

Students Look Forward to Spring Break

More than 50 percent of Americans plan to travel over spring break, according to Travel Agent Central. However, not all students and staff at FCHS are packing their bags, as many have different agendas for their break, ranging from going to the beach, playing sports, and visiting family, to working or just sleeping and relaxing.

Those who are traveling may be facing crowds, depending on their destination. In some places this year, such as Miami, the spring break crowds have been so extreme they’ve had to set restrictions. Some cities in Florida have been enforcing a “quiet time,” restricting people from going out between 11:59 p.m. to 6 a.m. after two fatal shootings.

Still, many students can’t wait to get started on their plans. The FCHS varsity softball team plans to travel to Myrtle Beach for a tournament over spring break.

“I get to spend the whole week playing a tournament with the softball team in Myrtle Beach,” said junior Maddi Owen. “My team and I have worked hard to raise money to be able to go. This opportunity is something new the school is giving us the chance to do. I think it’ll be a great bonding experience for the team getting to spend time playing, and enjoying the beach together,” she added.

Especially now that the school district has made spring break a day longer (thanks to using only one out of 10 banked snow days this year), the break is the perfect opportunity to see family who live far away. “Since my family lives over 3,000 miles away and it takes a whole day to get to them, I don’t get many chances to visit them over the school year,” said FCHS teacher Elizabeth Pellicane.

Other students will use the time to get some extra work hours. “I am planning to work during the day because when we are in school I can’t do that,” said junior Sage Gibson.

Some students are using the break to catch up on school work or get ahead on finals and AP tests in order to finish off the school year strong. Or, they may just be looking forward to a much-needed break from school.

“I don’t plan on doing anything over spring break because school has been very hectic and I’m looking forward to relaxing and sleeping until noon,” said Bond.