Photo Courtesy of Lori Hoffman

Second Annual Futures Night at FCHS

For the 2nd Annual Futures Night at Fluvanna County High School March 28 from 6 pm to 8 pm, PVCC Career Coach Lori Hoffman and VCAC College Adviser Kalley Seitz are bringing after high school opportunities right into the FCHS cafeteria. Hoffman and Seitz created this event last year to highlight the opportunities that FCHS students have after graduation.

“I know my own children would have benefitted from an event like this where they could not only explore careers and colleges, but also have the time before graduation to use the resources of both a college adviser and career coach,” said Hoffman.

“I am so excited to have PVCC at this event because of how many opportunities Piedmont has that might go unnoticed from an outside perspective. We will not only have representation from the educational side of Piedmont at our event, but also their workforce services that offer short term trade certifications,” she added.

Seitz said that for students interested in attending a four-year college or university, “it is so important to meet with college representatives before you decide what schools you would like to apply to. This can give you a strong understanding of the culture of the school without stepping foot on campus. I am also really excited we are showcasing local businesses and career exploration this year. This will be a great resource for students to see if the jobs they are interested in require an educational degree past a high school diploma.”

The event currently has over 30 booths reserved to attend, including four-year universities, PVCC, trade schools, local businesses, military, and career match & fit services. All of the participants are attending with the goal of showing Fluvanna students how much potential they have in the years to come, and to give them the resources on how to achieve it.

For questions about the event or resources offered at FCHS, contact [email protected] or [email protected].