Photo Courtesy of JostensPix

New Football Head Coach Mitchell Pace

Pace Named New Football Coach

January 31, 2023

On Jan. 26, the Fluvanna County School Board unanimously approved the appointment of Mitchell Pace as FCHS Varsity Football Coach. After opening up the position in December, FCPS pooled applicants and assembled an interview committee made up of school administrators, athletic department personnel, and a parent representative. In a statement, Fluvanna County Public Schools said “We strongly believe this “to be a great step forward for our football program, school, and community.”

Pace has been an assistant football coach for 17 seasons and during that time has led the middle school program, as well as directed the Junior Varsity team as head coach. In addition to coaching football, Pace has held positions as the head boys and girls swim coach and the head coach of boys tennis.

Pace is a graduate of FCHS, has an Education degree from the University of Virginia, and has been an educator at FCHS for 17 years. He and his wife, Marie, have three children, Molly, Sophie, and Jack, who all currently attend FCHS. “I am extremely excited about this opportunity to be the head coach at FCHS,” said Pace.

“We are elated that Coach Pace is taking over the helm as our Varsity football coach. Mitchell brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to this position and possesses the needed drive, determination, and integrity for the program. I know he will continue to mold our players, on and off the field, while partnering with our community to move forward together for our student-athletes,” stated Superintendent Pete Gretz.

Pace plans on making a few changes for the team by working on character development, fundamental skills development, and team mentality.