Photo courtesy of Carolynne Hagan

The Interact club float during Homecoming.

Interact Focuses on Impacting Others

November 29, 2022

For students who want to be part of something bigger than themselves, the Interact Club provides a hands-on opportunity to become more involved, and give back to the local community. Club members engage in many activities, from volunteering at the library, to “adopting a family” during Christmas, to pairing up with their sister club at Fork Union Military Academy (FUMA) to package meals for those in need.

“The most important thing the club does is provide an opportunity for students to help their community,” said Science teacher and Club Sponsor Carolynne Hagan. “It is a great feeling to know that you have helped someone,” she added. Hagan has been involved within the club for several years and has helped set up many of the club’s events.

Senior Abigail (Abi) Adams joined the club when she was in eighth grade. Now on the board as the Principal, Adams says, “At first, I would just sit on the sidelines, but then I got really into the projects they were discussing. I decided to run for the board because I had so many projects and ideas that were not really focused on and I wanted to share them.”

Participation in the Interact club can look good on college applications by showing that you’re willing to help others with no expectations of anything in return. If you obtain a certain number of hours of community service within the extent of your senior year, you can buy an Interact cord to wear for graduation.

It’s not too late to join the club, even mid-year. To do so, see Hagan in room 3502 or email her at [email protected] for an invite to join the Interact Google Classroom, where most of the communication transpires. “I would tell [anyone] to absolutely join because there is no better feeling than helping your community become a better place,” said Adams.

Guidance Counselor Hayden Parrish was one of the founding members back when he attended FCHS. His sophomore year (the 2011-2012 school year), he asked the then-librarian to sponsor the club, which led to Parrish and many others getting involved and initiating the club.
“We saw it as a great way to have an impact; not only would we be able to organize service events, but we’d also have a big say in what exactly we would commit our time and energy to,” said Parrish. He added, “I feel that when you are passionate about something, and when you genuinely believe you can contribute to its function, you have some responsibility to help ensure its success, which is why I ran to become the club’s second president.”

Although the club started over a decade ago, it is still running strong. “I’m really proud of what Interact was able to achieve when I was a member of the club, but I’m even more proud of the club’s continued success and all the students who have given their time and energy to Interact’s efforts over the past 11 years,” he concluded.