Fluvanna Sports Photography

The varsity football team prepares to make their entrance on the field for the Aug. 26 home game.

Flucos Wrap Up Fall Sports Season

November 18, 2022

The leaves are changing colors, temperatures are lowering, and the fall Fluco athletic programs have come to an end. With all of the amazing wins and heartbreaking losses, many Flucos feel proud of their seasons, while soon-to-graduate seniors may be leaving big shoes to fill. Here is a recap of the season overall.

Cross County
Fluvanna had another successful cross country season, sending runners to the postseason regional race this and every year since beginning their program.

Both the girls and boys teams finished well in the Jefferson District meet with numerous Fluco athletes moving onto the regional meet, including: Ryder Petrylak, Jonathan Gretz, Zachary Butler, Ruby Frazier, Sophie Farley, and Madeline Creasy.

The Flucos hosted the Region 3C meet at Pleasant Grove on Nov. 1. All of the Fluco athletes that qualified individually finished in the top 25 places in their race at the meet. The girls team had two standouts: Junior Ruby Frazier who placed 4th at Regionals. and freshman Sophie Farley who placed 6th.

The pair of girl runners represented Fluvanna at the 3C state meet with Frazier placing 24th overall, and Farley placed 26th overall.

The team will say a farewell to Madeline Creasy, Jackson Kinsella, Cole LaRochelle, Ashley Madison, Mitchell Messier, and Laura Hernandez, who have all been running with the program since middle school.

Field Hockey
The field hockey program has made history each year that it has been a part of the athletic department. Last year, the girls varsity team won their first game, and this year both JV and Varsity have won games with Coach Jennfier Payne remaining as head coach.

The JV team started the season with a loss against Monticello High School, but towards the middle of the season, the Flucos beat Louisa County with a tight score of 1-0. They ended with their season with a record of 1-8, losing their final game to the Charlottesville Knights.

As for varsity, they won four games this season, making that their highest winning record to date. The team won their first game on Sept. 13 against Louisa, which gave them confidence for the rest of their games. Wins were recorded against Louisa, Charlottesville, Highland Springs, and Northumberland. The Lady Flucos ended their season with a loss against Meridian High School in the Region 3C tournament. However, the team finished 6th in the Jefferson District, their highest rank for a season thus far.

The team will say goodbye to Peyton Marshall, Teagan Bower, Gracie Clifton, KeAundra Dillon, Parker Watson, Zoe Coulter, Kimberly Bond, and Ari Bugg.

Football
JV ended their season with an even record of 5-5. Instead of “Friday Night Lights,” the team found encouragement in competing at their home stadium on Wednesday nights, as their home game record was 3-2. The team started the season off on a strong note, winning their first on the road match-up against Broadway with a score of 14-6. They had a successful win on Oct. 27 against Charlottesville before losing their final game to Albemarle County by a score of 2-0.

As for varsity, they ended the season with an 0-10 record, finishing 8th in the Jefferson District, remaining in the last place spot and missing the Region 3C playoffs. Their season ended with a big loss of 20-56 against Albemarle. For seniors Jacob and Jared Morris, Jon Jones, Clayton Cannady, Andrew Sheridan, Issac Lewis, Aiden Valentine, Braedon Haney, and Jason (Matthew) Banton, their last memories of Fluvanna football was at the Patriots’ stadium.

Golf
Fluvanna County’s golf team had a strong 9-2 record this season with most of their success being found at the Lake Monticello Golf Course. The team accelerated to the next level by competing in the regional matchup, but unfortunately for the Flucos, they lost. However, senior Killian Donnelly made a run at the state competition as an individual, being the only Fluco to compete on their own past the regional tournament.

Junior Kessler Potter was a stand-out on the Fluco team by being the only female, and having the honor of being in contention for the Girls VHSL Class 3 state tournament.

Donnelly and fellow seniors Cohen Purviance and Conner Holman will be leaving the program due to graduation but the team expects the other players to return for next season.

Volleyball
The JV team ended their season with a record of 14-3, capping it off with an astonishing final win against Albemarle County, to whom they had lost earlier in the season. Western Albemarle beat the Lady Flucos in both contests, claiming the first place spot in the Jefferson District. Still, the Lady Flucos’ strong record leaves their supporters with high hopes for the players that will move up to the varsity level next fall.

Varsity had a largely winning season, with a record of 19-6 overall. The girls won 13 games straight, making them a contender for first place in the Jefferson District, before falling in a back and forth loss to Goochland County on Oct. 11 in the Bulldogs’ gym. After this loss, the girls quickly bounced back with wins against Orange County and Monticello, but fell shortly afterward to Western Albemarle. This loss gave the girls a secured second seed in the Jefferson District, next to first place Western Albemarle. The Lady Flucos had the honor of making it past the regular season and successfully beat Liberty Christian Academy in the Region 3C quarter-finals. Unfortunately for the Lady Flucos, they ended their season with a huge loss against Fort Defiance High School in the Region 3C semi-final match.

The Lady Flucos said farewell to seniors Makayla Gentry, Faith Shields, Shelby Crawford, Brooke Napier, and Sierra Krett.