Photo courtesy of Fluco Journalism

Seniors Jay Lyons and Riley Yowell make buttons to raise funds in support of the people of Ukraine.

Students Button Up for Ukraine

April 26, 2022

In February, Russian troops started an unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, and many countries in the world started donating to Ukraine to help citizens of that country in their time of crisis. Thanks to the Student Government Association (SGA), Flucos can now easily do their part to aid Ukraine as well.

Since Feb. 18, SGA students have been selling blue and yellow stickers, magnets, and buttons to show support for the people of Ukraine. Proceeds will benefit the people of Ukraine.

“A few years ago, there was a foreign exchange student here at FCHS. Her name is Vlada, and one day, she Zoom called into Mr. [David] Small’s room during SGA,” said senior Riley Yowell on how the idea for the fundraiser started. “She spoke to all of us about her experience as a Ukrainian person fleeing her country and residing in another country due to the Russia and Ukraine War. It was understandably emotional, and many in SGA felt that something needed to be done to help people like Vlada. That is where the idea sparked, as we were looking for ways to fundraise and send money to aid in humanitarian help for Ukraine,” Yowell added.

This money is going to be going to an organization that will send the money to Ukraine, specifically the Ukraine Humanitarian Fund coordinated by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

“Hearing Vlada’s story really touched the hearts of many of us and made us feel the need to act and to help. Selling items that could be displayed to show support for Ukraine was a way to get the best of both worlds: recognition for the crisis in Ukraine, and raising proceeds to send to benefit the people of Ukraine,” said Yowell.

The fundraiser hasn’t gone without challenges. “Some challenges have been getting the word out to the student body to purchase the stickers, magnets, and buttons. We are hoping that with more ‘selling days’ in the cafeteria, more students will stop and purchase an item,” said Yowell.

Stickers are going for $2, magnets with the Ukrainian flag are 50 cents, and buttons with the flag are also 50 cents. To order, go to this link.