Photo curtesy of Sophia Harris

Fallen tree branches and icy roads in Lake Monticello.

Students Survive the Snowpocalypse

February 4, 2022

On Jan. 3, Fluvanna County was hit with a treacherous snow storm. Not only did it cause power outages all across Central Virginia, but it delayed the return from winter break by an entire week.

Since many county residents were stuck at home, they had to find ways to see the good and the bad of a tough situation, as well as find creative ways to stay entertained.

Some were left without power for a few hours, while others were out for days. “I was only without power for three hours. We all got really lucky,” said junior Lillian Plourde. “To pass the time I got ahead on my school work and caught up on some sleep,” she added.

“I was only without power for a little over a day,” said sophomore Taylor Webber, “but we also have a generator that we ran in brief periods.” Others weren’t so lucky, with some residents out of power for up to nine days.

Despite the joy of having several unexpected school snow days, there were definite downsides to being without power. “The worst part was not having the internet and not being able to talk to my friends,” Plourde said. Others struggled with extremely low temperatures, some into the 40’s inside, thanks to no heat. “The worst part of being snowed in [was] trying to stay warm and keep busy while the power is out,” Ownby said.

Although many people were stuck at home for long periods of time, they found an opportunity to find the good even in tricky situations. “The best part was definitely getting to sleep in,” said Plourde. “Being snowed [gave] me the courage to try things I never thought of before because there’s nothing better to do,” said junior Kiersten Ownby.

Some students used their circumstances to go outside and make memories. “The best part was being able to play in the snow with my siblings and dogs,” said Webber. Ownby used the time to work on things she normally doesn’t have time for. “When it snows, I like to pick up a hobby like knitting or cross-stitching,” said Ownby, “Then when we get back to doing things, I put it to use in making things for friends and family.”