Into The Woodlands

November 22, 2021

Photo Courtesy of FCHS

FCHS Students Hard at Work

Do you ever get bored at home and can’t find anything to do? Well, The Woodlands is waiting for you to explore.

The Woodlands is a series of walking trails behind Fluvanna County High School and adjacent to the bus ramp. There are five trails to explore to walk, run, bike, or just relax and sightsee. Some of the trails had initially been a part of the Pleasant Grove Trail network before FCHS was built. “Mr. Horace Scruggs and myself initially set out to re-open some of these trails and connect new ones into the mix,” said TV Production teacher David Small. “Mr. Craig Conner, who utilizes the Woodlands with his science classes, was also helpful in helping to clear the trails,” he added. 

The Student Government Association (SGA) also helped with the assistance of the trails. “During COVID, the SGA decided to take on the task of creating a trail network and promoting this area as a park managed by the students called [The Woodlands],” said Small. “The SGA has been instrumental in building bridges, maintaining and marking trails, and creating an overall picture of how the Woodlands can be used,” he added. 

Small said that there are about 2/12 miles of cleared trails that make access to these areas possible. “Our hope is that students, teachers, and the community will have a chance to connect to nature in this space,” said Small. There are creeks and a variety of flora and fauna along the trails. 

Students were a big part of making The Woodlands happen, “SGA, Carpentry and [Agriculture] students were involved,” Small says. The Woodlands is located behind the high school and adjacent to the bus ramp. With five different trails to choose from and plenty of scenery.