How Fine Arts Has Changed During COVID-19

September 15, 2021

The arts have always been a big part of Fluvanna. Due to the unusual circumstances surrounding COVID-19, however, the arts have suffered greatly. In the past few years, serious restrictions have been applied to these classes. 

Band is one of Fluvanna’s largest programs with multiple classes ranging from symphonic band to jazz band. “Last year, I had to put my saxophone in a bag to contain the air and wear a music mask,”  said FCHS jazz musician Adam Simmons. The bags didn’t allow any air to come through, which forced their music to have a slightly muffled sound. “Last year with COVID was really difficult mentally and physically,” Simmons continued. Some of the band’s practices were outside, which allowed them to free themselves of the bags and special masks. “I think that band has been a lot easier this year than the last because now we can all be in the same room and practice music together,” said band member Lily Sanchez.

Choir has always been important to FCHS, which is why a surplus of students were upset when COVID-19 took over. Choir students were saddened when they found out they had to sing virtually, and then the next year, they had to sing with their masks for short periods. “Last year’s choir was harder than usual…we couldn’t sing as long as we wanted,” said choir student Amelia Everard. Last year when students still had to learn virtually, the choir students had to record themselves singing on Flipgrid and perform while on Google Meet. “ A lot of students sang virtually, but they were on their own. It is much easier for them to sing in a group while we are in person, and that’s what choir is all about,” added FCHS choir director Sara Harkrader.

Art has always been a way for students to express themselves, and with COVID-19 around, it has been much harder for anyone to create. At the same time, virtual art students weren’t able to get the hands-on help they needed to grow. “During COVID-19, we had to send all the supplies home and go completely paperless. Students had to hand in photographs of their work,” said art teacher Michelle Coleman. Students and teachers alike suffered in art during virtual learning. “We took pictures of our work on our phones, we uploaded them onto Google Classroom, but sometimes our pictures wouldn’t load, and we would fail the assignment,” said Marley Rochester.

COVID-19 has forced the arts into something no one wants to be a part of, and many students have quit these activities altogether. The drastic changes in the arts have left students wondering when their classes at school will return to normal. “Last year, COVID-19 made everything harder,” said Sanchez.