Jeans for a Cause

November 22, 2019

Photo+courtesy+of+Maddy+Eubank+

Photo courtesy of Maddy Eubank

If you’ve noticed lots of teachers wearing jeans throughout the month of November, it’s most likely thanks to a recent fundraiser held by the Math Department. Between Oct. 28 and Nov. 1, teachers were able to pay $20 to be able to wear jeans throughout the entire month of November. 

According to Math teacher Lori Hoffman, the idea was inspired by the Fluvanna County Sheriff’s office. Officers who made a donation to the Fluvanna Food Pantry in October were told they would not have to shave for the whole month of November. 

Hoffman said that she liked the idea and decided that she wanted to do something similar. So she checked with Principal Margo Bruce, who quickly came on board with the idea. Their original goal was to raise only $500, but Hoffman said she was overwhelmed with support for the fundraiser when they more than doubled their goal, raising $1100. In all, 55 FCHS teachers participated in the fundraiser.

All the money raised during the fundraiser went to help make holiday food baskets at the Fluvanna Food Pantry. Hoffman said that the fundraiser was just a small way the teachers at FCHS could give back to our local community. “It is a great feeling to know that families in need will be able to have the support of the Food Pantry to put a holiday meal on the table,” said Hoffman.