Staff Member of the Month: Mitchell Pace

May 8, 2019

Employee of the Month Mitchell Pace is a native born and raised Fluvannian who graduated from FCHS in 1996.  “A true Fluco from the start. If you cut me, I bleed blue and gold,” said Pace.

After graduating from FCHS, Pace attended UVA and majored in Education. Pace currently teaches History, Government, and Teacher Cadet. “I’m a history nerd. I truly love it. I also like connecting with some pretty interesting kids,” Pace said about his favorite aspects of teaching.  But he admits that school can be a place where some strange things happen, such as wehn he had a substitute who ate every bit of food and drink that he had in his classroom.”

Besides being a teacher for the last 13 years in Fluvanna, Pace has been a coach for football and tennis.  “I grew up in a family very involved in high school sports, so it would seem unnatural not to coach,” Pace said.  He feels that both sports have their challenges and can be difficult at times, but he enjoys working with young athletes that want to compete.  

However, it is football which holds a special place in his heart. While in high school, Pace played quarterback for FCHS.  “I played all major sports in high school, but my love was always for football. I was very serious about it, maybe too much at times, but I wanted to win,” he said.  His favorite part about coaching is being involved in sports and seeing young athletes connect to that same enjoyment.

Outside of school, Pace enjoys spending time with his wife and three children.  “[I’ve been] married 17 years to a high school friend, although we weren’t sweethearts until later.  We have three wonderful children,” said Pace. He also enjoys weekends and vacations when he can focus on something other than school. “It’s good to seperate from school at times. Spending time with my family, reading, working in the yard, camping, fishing, golfing, basketball with my son, watching my daughter swim, just hanging out in front of my porch and visiting my wife are all things I like to do,” he said.