Blue 53 is the Spot for Sports

Syerra Milliman

The local Blue 53 diner located at 265 Turkeysag Trail in Palmyra. Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism.

If you’re going to local restaurant Blue 53 and you’re hoping for a quiet meal, you’d better make sure UVA basketball is not playing that night. Known for its delicious burgers and multiple game-friendly TVs, Blue 53 Bar & Sports Grill is a great place to watch sports while dining. In fact, they have four grouped TVs to make a giant screen on the main inside wall of the restaurant so you won’t miss any moment of your favorite game. 

Located across from Food Lion in the old Lakeside Grill spot, Blue 53 has become popular with a lot of locals. “I like working here. [There’s a] great environment, nice workers, and just an all-around fun place to be,” said FCHS senior Vincent Madison.

Selling typical American food, Blue 53 offers burgers, wings, salads, wraps and more. Their juicy burgers ($8.95 to $10.95) are a favorite of many Fluvanna residents. “I love a good burger, especially with bacon. Their Bacon Burger is a must-have.” said FCHS junior Bradley Holtz. Other options include their Buffalo Burger, Bacon Bacon Burger, Veggie Burger, and their regular Cheese Burger.  

Their wings are another good option if you’re not in the mood for a burger. They come in two categories: boneless and traditional. Both six-piece traditional and boneless wings are $6.95. You can also order the 12-piece wings for $10.95. If you have a bigger appetite or a bigger group of people, they have 18-piece ($16.95-$17.95), 24-piece ($21.95-$22.95), and 32-piece ($27.95-$29.95) options.  “I always go with traditional hot wings. It’s my thing,” said FCHS junior Ethan Hartung.

Their wrap/sandwich prices range from $8.95 to $10.95, including their Buffalo Ranch Chicken Wrap or their Prime Rib Sandwich. Salads start at $4.25 for sides and go up to $11.95 for their bigger chicken salads.

Popular appetizers include Fried Pickles ($5.95) and Bada Bang Shrimp ($8.95). “I enjoy fried pickles a lot, so if it’s on the menu I’m most likely getting some. Also, they are cheap here,” said FCHS graduate Ethan Graves.

Blue 53 is closed on Sundays, open eleven am to ten pm on Mondays, and noon-10 pm on Tuesdays. On Wednesday and Thursdays they are open from 11 am-10 pm, while on Fridays and Saturdays they are open 11 am-11 pm. You’ll find a copy of their menu here.