QR Codes Guide the Way

February 12, 2019

Syerra Milliman

Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism.

Want to see your school counselor but don’t want to wait for your teacher to finally get around to sending them an email? You’re in luck, because life just got easier.

You may have noticed blue sheets of paper with QR codes posted outside of some classrooms. These codes allow students to make appointments with their school counselor, or with College Advisor Hayden Parrish, directly on their phones.

.   For iPhone users, simply open your camera and center the QR code associated with your counselor in the viewfinder. A prompt should appear on the phone’s screen asking you to open a Google Doc. Complete the Google Doc questions and press “submit” at the bottom of the page. The message will be e-mailed to your counselor. If you’re an Android user, you may need to download a free QR code scanner to use these codes.

The FCHS administration came up with the idea to use QR codes to provide students with a quick and easy alternate path for communication with counselors.

“Using the QR code eliminates the need for a student to request that a teacher call or email a counselor for assistance, and it alleviates the need for the student to go to the School Counseling Office to request an appointment in-person, allowing the student to request help directly from the counselor,” said school counselor Chris Roberson.

Parrish said some students may not be comfortable speaking with staff members and  “may be hesitant to reach out in person or even via email. The QR codes are a much simpler and informal way of scheduling meetings with us.“

There are no official plans for administration to use additional QR codes in the future, but the success of the counseling codes may change that. For example, the FCHS Journalism team has just started using QR codes to promote their social media accounts. By following Journalism’s social media accounts, students can view updates on the Yearbook and the school news site, The Fluco Beat, as well as participate in contests and giveaways.

Look for the Journalism QR code flyers to be posted around the halls the week of Feb. 11.