Greenwood Wins VCEE Award

January 19, 2019

FCHS Economic and Personal Finance teacher Gary Greenwood. Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism

Blake Berry

FCHS Personal Finance teacher Gary Greenwood was recently named a winner of the Virginia Council on Economic Education 2018 Economic Educator Awards Program.

Greenwood’s entry, “Setting Up Your Class as a Business,” won First Place for the K-12 Lesson/Unit, and was awarded $1,000 at the Council’s annual awards luncheon on Dec. 7.

Superintendent Chuck Winkler also attended the awards luncheon with Greenwood.  “We are fortunate to have Mr. Greenwood in our Economics and Personal Finance classes. He represents Fluvanna very well,” said Winkler.

Greenwood has previously been recognized by Working in Support of Education (W!SE) as a Gold Star Teacher for his students earning over a 93 percent pass rate on the W!SE Financial Literacy Assessment.

Fluvanna County High School has received multiple honors in Finance, such as the Blue Star School Award for 2018 for W!SE Financial Literacy. He also won the Region V Governor’s David Ricardo Challenge in Economics in 2018.

Four students from Greenwood’s Economics and Personal Finance class took a 30 item online exam with questions that align with Virginia’s economics and personal finance SOLs. The team of sophomore Somerville Munt, Junior Keera Finley, senior Bayley Leyshon, and senior Rebecca McCann earned the top score in Region V.