Photo courtesy of PublicDomainPictures.net under Creative Commons License

Farm to School Week Sprouts in FCPS

October 1, 2018

In honor of Farm to School Month, Fluvanna County Public Schools (FCPS) is celebrating Farm to School Week Oct. 1-5. The events and activities are designed to give students an appreciation for local produce and agriculture.

FCPS Farm to School week is being managed by Gwendolyn Jones and FCHS Cafeteria Manager Sheri Casero, as well as others like Agriculture teacher Russ Jennings.

Students in all schools will have the ability to participate in a variety of activities, such as coloring at Central and West Central and poster making at Carysbrook and Fluvanna Middle School.  

These activities will offer rewards to student participants, including gift bags with supplies, t-shirts, to the homecoming game and a $25 gift card courtesy of H&M Lawn Care.

In addition, students are being given expanded options for their school lunches this week. Farms from around the state have provided fresh produce for students in addition to their normal lunches, including the following:

Monday, Oct. 1

– Peaches from Crown Orchard in Batesville

– Blackberries from Cole Berry Farm in Vernon Hill

Tuesday, Oct 2.

– Corn from Cassell Farms in Hillsville (to be roasted by Mr. Jennings and his students)

– Asian Pears from Saunders Brothers Orchard in Piney River

Wednesday, Oct. 3

– Summer Squash from Kirby Farms in Mechanicsville and Sunnyside Farm in Cumberland

– Watermelon from Marks Farm in Capron

Thursday, Oct. 4

– Apples from Fruit Hill Orchard in Palmyra (for the “crunch heard around Fluvanna” event)

– Cabbage from Church Hill Produce in Doe Hill and Cassell Farms in Hillsville

High school students will also have the ability to get “student samplings” which include food items like apple butter, grapefruit, lemons and pesto.

Students and staff around the county are encouraged to participate in “The Crunch Heard ‘Round Fluvanna” on Thursday at 10:00 am. At this time, students are asked to take a bite out of an apple to “make some noise for Farm to School.”