New Coach, New Season

September 7, 2018

Bob Kenward

Cameron Holland makes a run at the Aug. 31 home game against Spotsylvania. Photo courtesy of Fluvanna Photos.

While the 2018-19 football team has had multiple obstacles so far this season, including at-times unbearable summer heat, their most notable challenge this year has been adjusting to their new coach, Michael Morris. “I have been coaching football for 18 years and I try to improve the physical nature of practice, to get the guys into game shape, so they won’t be worn out by the end of the game,” said Morris, who also teaches art classes at FCHS.

Getting a new coach has represented a new start and a new vision for a team which has struggled to find a winning season in recent years.

“I really do think we are ready for this season because we all have been working really hard and if we work hard during practice and on the field we [should] be good,” said varsity player and junior Malachi Hill. Another player, junior Caleb Stoltz said, “I think this season will be much better than last season. We’ve been doing really good at practice lately.”

Many players seem to feel that their overall teamwork and attitude at practices has improved since the addition of Coach Morris. “I think we have been doing pretty good working together as a team. We hold each other together and hold each other accountable. If one of us gets in trouble, we all do,” said Hill.

Fluvanna has a hard schedule this season, with some of the players saying Albemarle would be tough to beat, and others saying they think their biggest competition will be Louisa or Monticello. Hill, however, said, “I think the hardest team this year will be ourselves…because I think we will be unstoppable if we limit our mistakes.”

The team officially started practice on July 26 to prepare for their first scrimmage game against Waynesboro on Aug.11. The team’s first game of the season was on Aug. 25 against Bluestone. The Flucos secured their first win, defeating Bluestone 21-0.

The Flucos have a new offense and defense and every Thursday they have a team meal together. On Saturday mornings they watch the previous game’s film together.

FCHS’s first home game of the season was Aug.31 against Spotsylvania. Although the Flucos made a valiant effort, they were defeated 21-14. Still, at this point in the season it appears that many team members are not going to let this loss shake them from their hope of turning the corner on their past and making a new name for themselves this year.