The Enchanted Forest “Prom”ises Everlasting Memories

May 3, 2018

Photo+courtesy+of+FCHS+Journalism+

Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism

This year’s prom has come and gone, but the memories will last forever.

The prom committee, which included several SGA members, spent a long day before the prom on April 27 setting up the gym, cafeteria, and entrance with the decorations for the Enchanted Forest theme.

Glowing deer and beautiful trees lined the walkway into the school to welcome the students to the event. “The decorations looked great,” said senior Melanie Stone. “I wasn’t expecting anything really well done, but I really liked the decorations. They had a little reading nook which I thought was cute,” said senior Emily Antesberger. 

Students enjoyed a banquet table with a variety of food from Walmart and Sams including fried chicken wings and small sandwiches, fruit and cheese platters, and cookies. A big hit of the night was the cupcakes, which were made by teacher Rose Brogan.

“The food was really good,” said junior Alexis Harris, echoing a common sentiment for this year’s prom. 

As for the rest of the dance, as is common every year, many attendees proved to be hard to impress, including some who said they didn’t care for the selection of music. “It wasn’t that great,” said junior Syerra Milliman about the music choices, although other students said they appreciated being able to make music requests.

Another negative was that heels weren’t allowed in the gym, which many girls were disappointed to learn about upon arrival. The choice was made in order to protect the gym floors, and ticket sellers were supposed to notify buyers of this fact when they purchased tickets. Still, having to go shoe-less in the dance area was an unwelcome surprise for some girls. 

However, many students said they enjoyed having the ability to move between the “quiet area” of the cafeteria and the dance floor in the gym.

Overall, 300 tickets were sold and 284 students actually attended the prom.

“I want to especially thank the class of 2019 for diligently working hard on this prom,” said Junior Class Prom Committee mentor Aaron Grubbs. “The junior year is a historically hard year for students with classes and school and community activities. The officers, Scotty Campbell, Hannah Ledford, Josh Elliott, and Maddie Nazar, coordinated and made the prom possible, and it was truly the Juniors’ gift to the Class of 2018.”
Grubbs added that the Junior class would like to thank the Fluvanna County Sheriff’s office, FCHS administration, and all the school sponsors and chaperones for making Prom night possible.
  • Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism

• Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism

• Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism

• Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism

• Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism

• Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism

• Photo courtesy of FCHS Journalism