Prom Dreams?

by Heather Hicks –

From the glitz and the glam and everything in between, Prom 2013 was a night to be enchanted. Put on by the junior class prom committee, Mrs. Moore and Mrs. McCauley, the first prom in the new high school sparkled with excitement. On the night of April 27th the “Enchanted Kingdom” came to life. “When I walked in I was like ‘aw! I feel like Cinderella frolicking into my castle,’” said senior Amy Parks.

As the guests entered through the gold and black palace, they were introduced to a flourishing display of stunning prom decorations. From glowing mushrooms to elegant lanterns students were delighted by the atmosphere of the kingdom. “I feel like the decorations turned out better than a lot of us thought they would,” said junior class President Antonia Wilson.

Students at FCHS were also excited to know that the ticket price this year was not a problem. Thanks to the junior class officers and their years of fundraising, tickets were cut to the low price of $10.00 for seniors and $15.00 for juniors. “The price was awesome! It was affordable and made prom much more enjoyable all thanks to the junior class office,” said seniors Sabrina Gomez and Olivia Noraas.

Before Prom, many students spent their whole day in preparation for the dance. The Prom Committee stayed after school to set up for the night on Friday until as late as 11:45 pm. All their hard work however clearly paid off as the dance floor illuminated with lights and dazzled students. “We put a lot of time and effort into setting up to make it look its best,” said Wilson. Other students like junior Jordan Benson went through vigorous preparation themselves. “On Friday I got my nails done, got my tan on and picked my boyfriend up from the airport. Then on Saturday I got my hair done,” said Benson.When all these preparations were said and done, everyone was ready for a magical prom night.

As the big night wore on, everyone was filled with enthusiasm. From songs like Wobble, Teach Me How to Dougie, and I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing, the stage was set for crazy yet romantic evening. “The music got me wobbling and gave me the most enjoyable workout,” said junior Jessica Jones. As far as the refreshments went, the drinks were a hit in the hot atmosphere of the dance. “The drinks were very refreshing,” said senior Amanda Downs.

Later on was the greatly anticipated moment of the crowing of prom king and queen. Senior Blake Hills was chosen as king and senior Hannah Miller was selected to be queen. The pair was ecstatic to receive their crowns and begin their rein over the Enchanted Kingdom. “They really deserved their win,” said junior Rachel McDonald, “they’re both extremely sweet and they looked fantastic”.

As the dance began winding down and coming to a close,everyone got their final dances in and received their dance favors. Inside each box was a glass that read “FCHS Prom 2013” and various candies. “The glass was a nice place to put my flower in as a memory of the dance,” said junior Tyler Wilcher. Prom night of 2013 in the Enchanted Kingdom left guests feeling satisfied with their night of royalty under the lights.