What Causes Vaccine Fears?

April 30, 2021

Every day, more and more FCHS students are signing up to get Covid vaccinations. Yet there are those who still fear getting vaccinated. Though experts say Covid vaccines are safe, some people still question their judgment.

So should students get vaccinated, or is it too dangerous? And why are some people so anxious?

“I think people should think about what the [Covid] vaccines are doing to their bodies and if they decide that the vaccine is the best choice for them, that is their choice,” said FCHS 8th grader Abigail Taylor. “I do think that some people are getting anxiety from all the talk about the vaccines, but they should get a vaccine only if they feel that it is best for them,” she added.

Not being able to fully understand what will be going into your body can definitely cause anxiety for anyone. Some people process things differently than others, and how someone is processing the information about vaccines can increase their anxiety about whether to get them or not. If you are interested in getting information about Covid vaccines, a popular and trusted website is the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

Not all people aren’t anxious for themselves, but they are for others, such as older people and close friends or relatives with underlying conditions who might suffer adverse consequences if they get Covid. While someone is worrying for someone else, a lot of fears can impact their own decision to get the vaccine.

Another factor that can create fear and confusion regarding the Covid vaccine is the way other vaccines were studied and developed, since some have argued that the Covid vaccines weren’t studied long enough to evaluate their safety. Covid vaccines are a lot different than the vaccines made for previous illnesses such as influenza or polio. According to Business Insider, influenza took decades of study and research, starting in the 1930s, and wasn’t approved in the U.S. until 1945. A polio vaccination was attempted in 1935, but showed poor results, so a polio vaccine wasn’t approved until the 1950s.

In comparison, the Moderna and Pfizer Covid vaccines were created and approved in less than a year. However, scientists argue that these vaccines were able to be created and approved so quickly because they built on previous vaccine technology and because the government’s Operation Warp Speed removed a lot of unnecessary red tape that normally slows down the time to get a vaccine to market.

While some people are stressing out about whether to get the vaccine or not, others think it’s okay to tease them about their stress, which can cause more problems. If somebody is worrying about potential side effects of the vaccine, and another person starts teasing them by listing possible side effects, that may only worry the person more.

Another thing that may cause some people to have fear or anxiety is the common fear of needles. However, for people wanting to get vaccinated who are scared of needles, there are a few ways to ease that fear. Remember that the shots only last a couple of seconds, and that you can avoid looking at the needle.

It also helps to recognize that many think the shots are worth it. According to Stat News, the effectiveness of Pfizer vaccines in preventing a person getting the virus is 95% after both doses, and 94.1% for both Moderna doses. For the Johnson & Johnson shot, it’s 85%. The high rate of effectiveness may be worth a moment of pain.

“I just think if you want the vaccine, get it. If you don’t, then don’t get it,” said senior Simon Skinner. “I don’t think people should be pressuring other people to get the vaccine…Maybe that said person is afraid of needles or doesn’t want a vaccine that they don’t know the contents of. If people pressure other people it’s going to turn into a negative thing, and we don’t need another argument. Either way, do what you’re comfortable with. Vaccine or not,” he said.