Tips for New Drivers

May 8, 2023

Becoming a new driver is very exciting for teenagers but also a very big responsibility. It takes a lot of practice to become a confident and safe driver. Before you get your license, there are a few steps.

The first thing you have to do is get your learner’s permit. A learner’s permit allows you to practice driving with a licensed driver in the vehicle. To get a learner’s permit in Virginia, you must take a driver’s education course in the 10th grade. Once you reach the age of 15 and 6 months, you will need to pass a knowledge and vision test at a Virginia DMV office, you can also take the test at the high school with three chances to pass. There is information and requirements you will need at the office, and can be found on the DMV website. Once you have passed the tests and provided the necessary information and documents you will receive your learner’s permit.

While you have a learner’s permit, which you must hold for at least 9 months before you get your license, it is a great opportunity to learn to be a confident and skilled driver. When driving with your learner’s permit you must have a licensed driver at the age of 21 years old in the passenger seat, or 18 years old if it is a direct family member. When you begin to start driving it is a good idea to start in a low-traffic and quiet area, luckily Fluvanna County is fairly rural so there are nice large back roads to learn to drive on. Make sure you follow the rules of the road and pay close attention to your surroundings. During this stage, it is also important to learn how to maintain the basic needs of a vehicle such as changing oil, gas refills, and ensuring that it runs smoothly.

When you have had the minimum 45 hours of driving time, 15 of which are after sunset, you can sign up for the Behind The Wheel course. This is the part of driving where you will get the experience of driving in a vehicle with a certified driving instructor. When you are driving you are usually accompanied by another student and you will trade places throughout the driving. You must complete a total of 7 hours and 20 minutes of driving. This is usually scattered in 50 minute sessions for 7 days. The instructor will give you pointers and critiques of your driving to help you improve. You will be scored as you drive which will determine if you pass the course or not. If you fail, you will have to retake it. Many FCHS students complete Behind The Wheel through Fork Union Driving Academy.

Once you have reached 16 years old and 3 months, have held your learners for 9 months, and have passed Behind The Wheel, you are ready to get your license! Driving alone for the first time can be a very freeing experience but you want to make sure you are being responsible and careful. Most new drivers’ biggest interests will be picking up friends and going out. Although this is a fun thing to do, there will also come a need for responsibility. Some of the top distractions when driving a vehicle are phones, the radio, and passengers. Blasting music with friends sounds fun but is very dangerous, you must remember that you are still very new to driving and this could cause a big distraction if not an accident

In conclusion, driving is a privilege that comes with great responsibility. It’s crucial to always follow traffic laws, stay alert, and be aware of your surroundings. When doing so, you are ensuring that you and others on the road remain safe. Remember, driving can be fun, but it is important to prioritize safety above all else.