Fluco Journalism

Graphic created by Fluco Journalism using Canva. Photo courtesy of Fluco Journalism.

Do apps watch or know you?

April 18, 2023

Have you ever wondered what apps are watching you other than TikTok? Although TikTok has been a hot topic recently, and in the past few years with Congress, there are other apps that watch and collect your data.

Now most apps you download collect your information by using an algorithm, which, in simple terms, is a procedure used for solving a problem or performing a computation. Since all apps have algorithms this basically means that apps like Tik Tok, Shein, Temu, or even US-owned apps like Facebook use a specific algorithm to track what you like most and keep feeding you the content you’re interested in. It’s basically how your apps get to “know you” based on what you like, share, or repost. Apps also collect your data when you enter your phone number or email address into the app. Entering your information is a requirement for all apps but it does collect your information and data.

Shein is one of the most popular apps owned by China. It’s an online shopping website that sells clothes, jewelry, phone accessories, and other fashionable materials for a low price. While this is a Chinese-owned business there has been no news or speculations that this app does; not that all Chinese-owned apps are necessarily “watching” you, most are co-owned by the US. This is because in 2021, Shein changed its parent company from a Hong Kong-registered firm to a Singapore-incorporated company. The app didn’t want to take the risk of possibly getting banned every few months like Tik Tok. Which, on Shein’s part, was a smart idea because now they could freely keep their business open without fear.

Temu is another Chinese-owned company that sells fashion and other sorts of accessories you may need. This app is based in Boston and runs US business through a Delaware-based company. Although Temu and Shein aren’t particularly watching you, they are collecting your information. These apps, like most, are using an algorithm to know exactly what you like. Not only are they getting to ‘know you,’ they are getting you addicted to the app so that way you’ll go around and share the name with your friends and family. By doing this they get more downloads which gives them more money.

Most apps you download aren’t particularly ‘watching’ you, they’re simply collecting data to know just what you like. Technically you could call it watching but nonetheless, these apps are getting to know you. If you get nervous about apps like TikTok or Shein, just know there’s not much that could happen and you could always read the terms and conditions to know exactly what you’re getting into.