Ready, Set, Stream

Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, Prime Video are some of the most well-known and popular streaming services. But which one is best? Here’s a breakdown of the major options.

YouTube
YouTube is a free service but has paid options that can give you a better experience. While anyone with an internet connection can stream video after video (assuming they are willing to put up with sometimes annoying ads in between), YouTube also has a service called YouTube TV which offers the ability to stream sports live and includes many different channels. These include ESPN, Nickelodeon, TNT, Food Network, and more.

“I’d have to say YouTube is my favorite. I enjoy the vast amount of creators on the site and how you could find something new every day to watch and enjoy,” says FCHS sophomore Morgan Drumheller. “While it might have some weird things on it, I still think the good outweighs the bad. Right now, my least favorite [streaming service] is Hulu. I tend to be more patient, but when it comes to Hulu’s one-minute ads, I really can’t help but be frustrated.”

Netflix
Netflix offers a few different monthly plans, the lowest being $9.99 a month and allows only one person to stream at a time and only one device that can download movies. For $15.49, Netflix allows you to stream from two screens and download from two devices. The final package is $19.99 a month, which allows you to stream from three screens and download from three devices.

Martinez said she is not a fan of Netflix. “They cancel so many interesting shows in order to give their original shows more air time,” she said. “I think it sucks that a lot of shows with so much potential were cut off when there are some series that have been going on for entirely too long. Not to mention the price has gone up. It just doesn’t sit right with me,” she added.

HBO Max
HBO Max came out in May of 2020 and offers different monthly plans, one for $9.99 a month for HBO Max with ads and another for $14.99 a month ad-free. “HBO Max is my current favorite compared to other streaming services because it gives access to Euphoria, Game of Thrones, and Easy A, which are some of my comfort content. My least favorite streaming app is probably Hulu because the somewhat excessive ads are tedious and I watch only one thing on it,” said senior Kaileigh Walker.

Hulu
While a number of students seem to find Hulu annoying, it does have its believers. “My favorite streaming service would probably be Hulu because it has a lot of shows that Netflix discounted or stopped showing. It also has a lot of those trashy reality TV shows that are my guilty pleasures,” said senior Mia Martinez. “My parents recently got YouTube TV so I’ve been using that recently too. It’s pretty much just like cable, which I never had growing up, so it’s all so new to me,” she added.
Disney+
Love Disney? Expect to pay for it. Marvel, Starwars, and The Princess Bride are just a few examples of some of the content of Disney+, which began two years ago and quickly pulled all Disney movies from other streaming sites. Now, if you want to watch an old Disney movie or show, or stream any new Disney series or movies, you’re forced to get Disney+, no matter how many other streaming services you have.

Disney+ offers a plan for $8 a month or $80 a year for ad-free streaming. Disney+ also offers a package deal that includes access to Hulu and ESPN for $14 a month. “My favorite streaming service is Disney+,” said senior Jordan Drumheller. “I love to watch movies I liked as a kid and there are so many options to choose from.