Juggling School and Work

November 29, 2021

For high school students having a job is pretty common. But juggling having a job, and having school every day, can be stressful, and at times overwhelming. But it is manageable. 

There are cons to having a job and being a student. It can be overwhelming and more stressful. Work can limit time for a social life, which is especially true for senior Christian Martin, who typically works about 24 hours a week at the Food Lion next to Lake Monticello. “I usually work Sundays, and any days of the week they schedule me,” he said. 

There are pros to having a job. “Interacting with people and getting to know my community” is Martin’s favorite part of working. 

Junior Kayleigh Knight also knows what it’s like to juggle work and school. “I work at Tropical Smoothie,” she said, noting that she usually works 13 hours a week. “I work Tuesdays, Thursdays, and weekends,” she said.  

Sophomore Rebekah Kraft works a similar number of hours a week at the Pantops Chick-Fil-A.  She typically works around 12 to 15 hours a week, including Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays. The awesome people I get to work with daily and the challenge.” reported Kraft when asked what her favorite part about working was.  

“Catching up on school work and sleep” is the most challenging thing about being a working student, said Kraft. “After a long shift on a school night, I usually have a late night finishing schoolwork, so I don’t end up falling behind,” she added. 

For Martin, the most challenging thing about being a student and an employee is “having my own free time, for sure.” 

So how can students juggle school and a job? Knight’s advice to student workers is, “Don’t procrastinate. You won’t have time to do everything.” Sophomore Caleb Walker, who works at Golden China, says, “try to find a good job where the boss is lenient and understands that school is important and comes first.” 

The bottom line is this: “Don’t overwork yourself. Just remember that school always comes first,” said Kraft.