Christmas in Virginia

December 17, 2019

It’s the time of year of again for snow, Christmas cheer, and everything festive. All around the world everyone has traditions or at least one way to celebrate the holidays. In Virginia, there are countless attractions to choose from to carry out holiday celebrations. 

First, in Williamsburg, Virginia,  is where a festival called Winterfest is located. Winterfest is hosted by the theme park Kings Dominion. Activities include at least nine roller coasters, ice skating, visiting and taking pictures with Santa, music and acting shows, and lighting shows. The miniature park for the children is also open with guests like The Peanut Gang hanging around. Ticket prices are $35 for an adult, while the price is $23 for children. This attraction is open from November 23, 2019 to January 1, 2020. 

Another great holiday attraction is held in Richmond, where they usually build a gigantic gingerbread house. This year, they switched it up. Instead, they built a 10 foot by 16 foot gingerbread train in the middle of the hotel. This sugar train is made with 350 pounds of gingerbread, 450 pounds of icing, 40 pounds of rock candy, 100 pounds of jelly beans, and 50 pounds of Red Hots candy. The exhibit took ten weeks to build. The person behind the masterpiece is Executive Pastry Chef Sara Ayyash Larrimer. “I wanted to do something different this year. The train was a good way to showcase the Christmas spirit and an icon of American history— the steam engine,” she said. This attraction is available to the public until January 7, 2020.

Another leading attraction resides in Richmond, Virginia where the “100 Miles of Lights” show is held. Visitors go to multiple cities in Virginia to drive or walkthrough two million Christmas lights in one showing. This light show stretches all the way from Richmond, Virginia to Virginia Beach, Virginia. Events for this attraction began on November 28, 2019 and will stop on December 31, 2019. 

Adding to Richmond’s long list of attractions is the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. Every year, this location holds a light show called the Dominion GardenFest of Lights. Drinking hot chocolate, making smores, a million Christmas lights, handmade flower arrangements, and model trains are just a few features of this attraction. Prices for tickets are $13 for adults, $11 for seniors, and $8 for children. This attraction is open every night from 5-10 PM from November 22, 2019 to January 6, 2020. 

Another holiday attraction held in Williamsburg, Virginia is called ChristmasTown.This is another theme park celebration held by Busch Gardens. A tree maze, visiting Santa and Rudolph, musical shows, and riding a select number or rides are all activities customers can participate in. Ticket prices are $59 for an adult, while children’s tickets are $35. 

All these attractions are found solely in Virginia and more information about them can be found online.