What a Waterful Swimmer

Courtesy of Jostens Pix

What a “Waterful” Swimmer

Qualifying for States is no easy accomplishment, but for FCHS swimmer Alex Fuller, it is reality.

Fuller, a sophomore on the FCHS Swim & Dive team, started swimming when she was very young in the summers. When her older sister took up year-round swimming, Alex wanted to do the same. “I’ve enjoyed it ever since,” she said.

Not only was Fuller the FCHS team points leader for the season, she also played a huge role on the team. “[Alex] is such a hard worker and such a positive person. She pulls other swimmers up towards her level,” said Swim Coach Mitchell Pace.

“When she’s swimming, she displays that effort and solid technique. When she’s not racing, she’s one of our very best cheerleaders and team spirit captains,” he added.

Being an athlete can be exhausting, so what keeps Fuller motivated to do her best?

“I always want to become a better swimmer. I want to drop time, improve my technique, and be the best athlete I can be. Even when practices are tough, I know that in the long run, it’s worth it because my hard work shows off in the pool,” she explained.

Regionals was one of her most thrilling experiences this season. “All of the girls relays qualified for States and we’ve all been working really hard to get the qualifying cut. So when we got it, I was so ecstatic,” said Fuller. Through the redundancy of practices, there is always excitement and that’s what she remembers most fondly.

Pace describes Fuller as an extraordinarily talented athlete, who has the right to be proud of her achievements. “I have many accomplishments that I am proud of, but this season I accomplished some of my best times in relays and I made it to States in all my individual events and relays,” she noted. She qualified for six events, and three additional relays. It’s challenging to qualify for just one event at States, yet Fuller has managed to push past her competition in ways rarely seen, says Pace.

“It’s thrilling coaching Alex. Sometimes I’m just a fan, not a coach. She’s so impressive in the water that I get caught watching and enjoying her race instead of coaching and analyzing. In my opinion, Alex dominates her sport,” Pace stated.

He added that all the team’s swimmers and divers strive to progress in everything they do. “They work so hard and to see some great personal bests during big meets is so rewarding. For example, at the regional meet we were entered in 42 different events and we had personal records in 28 of those events… that’s [a] big improvement at the right time when the pressure is on,” Pace remarked.

At the States competition on Feb. 16, Fuller placed 2nd in the 50-yard freestyle, 2nd in the 100-yard butterfly, and 8th in the 200-yard freestyle relay. “I was really happy afterwards with my times and my placement. I went best times in both of my individual events (50 free and 100 fly),” she said.