Scott Morris is FCHSs Athletic Director

Photo Courtesy of JostensPix

Scott Morris is FCHS’s Athletic Director

The Man Behind the Sports

November 22, 2022

Forget eight-hour workdays. Overseeing an athletic program often calls for long hours, according to FCHS Athletic Director (AD) Scott Morris.

“Game day usually lasts about 12-14 hours, depending upon the day, to possibly include meetings with other district, region and state athletic directors,” he said. His responsibilities include “ordering of equipment, materials for fields, setting up fields or courts, arranging transportation, going to away events to supervise, making sure all students are eligible and in good standing from Virginia High School League (VHSL) and school standards, and working with in house teachers and students. ”

Morris explained that his role includes “offering 29 different sports and activities and overseeing the over 700 students who participate as well as 70 coaches. “We have added many different sports and activities during my time here, he said, such as (boys and girls lacrosse, girls field hockey, boys and girls swim, wrestling, forensics, debate, and esports). “[I’m] also in charge of the building rental, as well as the upkeep, represent the school at state and national meetings, raise funds to support all the teams and programs, [oversee the] concessions stand, work with the community for support, as well as community branding, ‘We are Fluco’ and much more,” Morris added.

Morris grew up in Charlottesville, Virginia, where he attended Albemarle High School. “He then went on to Radford University for undergrad and Longwood for a Masters Degree.” He has a degree in Criminal Justice, a teacher’s license in Social Studies, and a Masters in Administration and Supervision.

Outside of school, Morris likes to spend time with his family and attend sporting events. One of Morris’s first jobs was a juvenile probation officer. He later became a Social Studies teacher before becoming the AD at FCHS. “This is year 20,” Morris said. He added that his favorite part of the job is “seeing students accomplish things and move on, and also being able to provide for the students of FCHS and FMS the same things and possibilities that all other high schools have, no matter the cost.”

Two things that would surprise students to know about Morris is that he is a shy, reserved person, and that he is a catering cook. “I catered a wedding in my early years. That is my big claim to fame. I really don’t do it as much anymore, and even at all since becoming AD,” Morris said. He said his favorite foods to make include “anything that is unique, such as fruit trays that look like a swan, special cookies, and finger foods.”