Photo courtesy of Tyler Golden

Mr. Golden and his training staff

The “Golden Hour” in Sports Medicine

February 18, 2022

If sports medicine teaching younger minds is your dream, it’s one you share with FCHS teacher and Athletic Trainer, Tyler Golden.

Golden went to George Mason University where he got his Bachelors in Athletic Training. “I grew up in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, before leaving for college. I majored in Athletic Training with a minor in Kinesiology and I went into this field because of my interest in both sports and the medical field. I’ve always enjoyed playing sports and working with sports teams. And I just think the human body is really interesting and there’s always new things you can learn about it,” Golden stared.

After college, Golden went right into his field as an Athletic Trainer at a physical therapy clinic in Elkton, Virginia. He also did outreach athletic training for Page County High School. “[It was] pretty much the same thing I did for FCHS in my first year here. I did the same thing for a school in Richmond as well,” Golden said.

Since joining FCHS as it’s Athletic Trainer at the start of this school year, Golden has been teaching as well, dividing his time between athletic training and teaching both Intro to Health and Medical and Sports Medicine. “I am really excited about the Sports Medicine class because it’s what I’ve been doing since graduating college. I love getting into injuries, how to diagnose them, and teaching students how to tape,” Golden stated.

“This is my first year being both a trainer and teacher and I really like the feeling of being more connected to the school as a whole (and not just athletics). Teaching has its challenges, but I’m learning new things every day. I also feel like I’m getting to know students and athletes better than when I just showed up after school,” Golden added.
As a trainer, Golden’s job is to diagnose, treat, and prevent injuries as well as be prepared for emergency medical situations. “I also try to help with decisions like ‘Do I need an X-ray?’ or ‘Should I go to the doctor for this?’ My goal is to keep athletes in the game as often and as safely as possible. I’m not here to keep anyone out. I am happy to see any student about their injuries,” Golden said, adding that he’s even seen coaches, parents, and other staff.

As an athletic trainer, he says there are certain things that you can and cannot do, and certain circumstances where you have to send an athlete to the doctor or hospital. “I can evaluate athletes and diagnose injuries, tape and wrap to prevent injuries, and use modalities like ice or the ultrasound machine to help treat injuries. I am CPR/AED certified so I can also manage emergencies, and I can make decisions on athletes returning to play after certain injuries, including concussions,” said Golden.

However, there are some things he can’t do that might surprise students. “I can’t give out any medications or do things like stitches. I can’t overrule a doctor’s note or make decisions that would go against any of their instructions. Most illness-related issues are also outside my scope of practice,” he said.

When Golden is not in school he likes to play video games, hike, walk the dog, and go out in Charlottesville with his wife. Something that students may not know about Golden that may surprise them is that he has two tattoos and used to ride a motorcycle.

Golden included some advice for inspiring Athletic Trainers saying, “[Don’t] be dead-set on one certain type of job in this profession. Be open to all levels (pro, college, high school) as well as different settings like PT clinics or orthopedic offices.”
He also provided some information about the requirements to be apart of his classes,“There are no prerequisite classes, but it would be helpful to take the Intro to Health and Medical Science class first. But it’s not required. Just a curiosity about anatomy and sports injuries and how the body works,” he said. He noted that the class is aimed at upperclassmen and could be tough for 9th and 10th graders. “But I have some right now and they are doing fine,” Golden said.