FCHS Welcomes Second SRO

February 15, 2022

Having a School Resource Officer (SRO) is highly important for schools to keep the staff and students safe. Though most schools only have the resources to hire one, Fluvanna was able to hire a second SRO this year. Besides Officer Kevin Taylor, who has been an SRO at the school the last few years, Fluvanna now has Officer Tre Ayers to protect the high school.
What exactly does an SRO do? An SRO is a certified law enforcement officer who is chosen to keep a school safe. They do many things throughout the school from dealing with delinquents to giving students and parents peace of mind. When asked what he does at school, Ayers said, “I am here to provide building security, campus security, and also be a positive mentor and role model for the kids. Somewhat acting as a counselor to students.”
Officer Ayers’ role here at FCHS all started with his desire to help others and have a positive impact on teens. “I wanted to be an SRO to show new generations that not all police officers are bad. We are very approachable and live normal lives just the same as everyone else,” Ayers explained.
Originally working at the Fluvanna Sheriff’s office, Ayers was transferred to Fluvanna at the beginning of the 2022 school year. “Helping others has always been a big thing for me, and working as an SRO has allowed me to do so,” he said.
While keeping the students at FCHS safe, Ayers also juggles his personal life which includes a German-Australian shepherd mix dog named Nelan. He said he worked at places like Pizza Hut and Sheetz before he started work at the Sheriff’s office. In his free time, Ayers enjoys hanging out with his family and friends, cooking meat, and all-around having a good time outdoors.
Ayers encourages students to reach out to him and Officer Taylor in hopes of creating a better environment for the students going here. “I want this to be a safe place for learning and creating. Without communication, that could never happen,” Ayers said. He encourages students to reach out to him with questions or concerns at [email protected]. Students are also welcomed in his office in Room 3609 where he says you will be able to talk in a judge-free zone.