Photo courtesy of Ally Lounsbury

Ally styling her hand-made brown corset.

Ally’s Threads

April 15, 2021

Quarantine has sprung many new hobbies and helped a number of teenagers find what they are most passionate about. For example, some have found they like to cook or do yoga and different forms of exercise. As for junior Allyson Lounsbury, the time has helped her develop her love for fashion and making clothes from scraps.

Lounsbury began her fashion platform on Instagram under the tag @allysthreadz. Currently, her following is 164 accounts, but that number grows more and more by the week.

Luckily, her business does not take up too much of her time. Balance is key between being a student and having a small business, but it does not bother her because she has such a love for sewing. “Since it’s such a fun hobby, I don’t mind it taking up my time and it was a great way to stay occupied in the start when I was hardcore quarantining,” said Lounsbury.

After the school year is over, she plans to dedicate more of her time to “Allys Threads” and make more products. Profit is not a huge importance to her, but she says “Once school is out I’ll have more time to dedicate to it and then hopefully, the income will follow.”

On her Instagram page you will find a variety of different products such as purses, bucket hats, tops and hand-made masks, her most popular item. As a smart entrepreneur, she took advantage of the current social climate and she created her own mask. “I love wearing my masks because they are the softest ones I have been able to find,” she said.

Lounsbury has multiple mask patterns available for purchase and they all contain a satin/silk inner liner that is softer on the skin. In addition, it helps prevent acne that other masks may cause as there is less irritation and friction against the skin.

Another popular item is her hand-made corsets. As with with the masks, they come in different styles to ensure the ability to be styled with any outfit. “I love the corsets I’ve made because they are so in-style and I am super proud of how good they look,” said Lounsbury.

With affordable and good quality products, it is easy to support a local small business. You can find Lounsbury’s products on her Instagram page @allysthreadz or on her Depop @allylounsbury. If anyone is interested in buying one or some of her products, she is flexible and can fit anyone’s needs and price range.