Photo courtesy of Margo Bruce

FCHS Principal Margo Bruce

Being a principal during Covid

March 24, 2021

Don't Forget to Leave a Like

You think you have it tough right now? Try being Principal Margo Bruce who has spent the last year making tough decisions for over 1,600 people including students, faculty, and staff, all while keeping safety her number one priority. She is also leading her staff through a very different school year navigating through virtual school, hybrid, and new technology.

“Interacting with students, teachers, and staff is one of my favorite parts of my job. I love making a difference in the lives of others,” said Bruce.

What is making the job as the principal of a high school so much harder during Covid? “The uncertainties make my job difficult,” said Bruce. Such uncertainties include the potential for Covid outbreaks at the school, changing recommendations from the state or the CDC, and how to help students and staff learn while practicing social distance.

“This year has definitely been challenging. I miss seeing and interacting with the students,” Bruce added.

Is there anything that she wishes she could change? “I wish I could safely bring all students back to school five days a week. I wish Covid-19 and all of its variants would disappear for good. The word ‘change’ will definitely play a role in my decision-making in the future,” she said.

How did Bruce get to be where she is today? Bruce was born and raised in Fluvanna, and even graduated from Fluvanna County High School herself in 1986. She got her first job at a place called Ivy Industries in order to get her own car.

For college, she went to Virginia Union University, Old Dominion University, then University of Phoenix, where she realized that she wanted to become an administrator. She was an assistant principal for 13 years in Fluvanna before taking over as principal in 2018.

In addition to being a principal, Bruce is ordained minister at her church. She has been married to her husband, Darry, for 26 years. Her two sons, KeDarrius and Karel, both graduated from FCHS. She says that when she is not in school making decisions daily she likes to “spend time with my family, cook, and enjoy gardening.”

About the Writer
Photo of Molly Pace
Molly Pace, FCHS Journalist

Molly is a sophomore in her first year of journalism. She doesn't play any sports, but she manages the JV football team as well as the JV baseball team....