Smeds Smashes the Record

October 2, 2018

Emily+Smeds+at+an+event.+Photo+courtesy+of+Fluco+Journalism+

Emily Smeds at an event. Photo courtesy of Fluco Journalism

On Sept 5, the Fluvanna girls’ cross country team competed in the Ragged Mountain Run in Earlysville. At this event, a rising star on the team broke a coveted record.

After two years of impressive awards and accomplishments, sophomore Emily Smeds completed her two-mile run in a time of only 12:31 seconds. This beat the previous Fluco record by eight seconds.

The Ragged Mountain Run competition is an elite event, calling only the most skilled runners to even take on the challenge. Smeds is one of these elite few, alongside a few other cross country members at Fluvanna.

Smeds enjoys track for its stress relief. This has kept her on the team for three years, since her eighth grade year. During this time period, she’s competed in many competitions and track events. 

Smeds said that her time on the team has taught her “to always put the team before yourself, and to do well individually as well as a team.”

Keeping a solid psyche is very important in any sport, and Smeds keeps focused by thinking about making her dad proud, as well as making the team proud. She said her dad has a quote that keeps her motivated: “Pain is temporary; your mind is forever.”

Attaining a new record is a big achievement, especially in such an elite event. “It meant everything,” said Smeds. “I was really nervous going into it, especially since it was the first race of the year.”

Track isn’t the only thing Smeds has to worry about. School is yet another major focus for the track star. She said she manages to balance the two “By being very, very, tired.”

Her future goals for track include working to get under 15 minutes in a 5K, as well as winning States for Fluvanna.