The Fluco Speech team with Mr. Barlow after winning States 2018. Front row (L-R) Mia Gonzalez, Caroline Fields, Delaney Hammond, Jordyn Palmer, Hailey Donald, Sydney Forren, Hollyn Pleasants, Ally Hanson, Trinity Haynes. Second row (L-R) Sam Hagan, Emily Sprouse, Sydney Small, Kate Moncure, Lily Dobrin, Madison Stafford, Corban Van Ornum, Lauren Shelton, Kyera Watkins, Craig Edgerton. Third row (L-R) James Barlow, Paul Nazari, Cameron Taylor, Alex Pellicane, Alex Logan, Simon Skinner, Ziara Pagan, Scott Morris. Photo courtesy of Fluvanna Photos. (Fluvanna Photos)
The Fluco Speech team with Mr. Barlow after winning States 2018. Front row (L-R) Mia Gonzalez, Caroline Fields, Delaney Hammond, Jordyn Palmer, Hailey Donald, Sydney Forren, Hollyn Pleasants, Ally Hanson, Trinity Haynes. Second row (L-R) Sam Hagan, Emily Sprouse, Sydney Small, Kate Moncure, Lily Dobrin, Madison Stafford, Corban Van Ornum, Lauren Shelton, Kyera Watkins, Craig Edgerton. Third row (L-R) James Barlow, Paul Nazari, Cameron Taylor, Alex Pellicane, Alex Logan, Simon Skinner, Ziara Pagan, Scott Morris. Photo courtesy of Fluvanna Photos.

Fluvanna Photos

Fluco Speech 2018 State Champions

For the second time in three years, the Fluco Speech team won the State title. At the March 24 competition at Clover Hill, 15 Flucos competed at the state level in nine categories. Eight students won the title in their category and four were runners up, giving the Flucos the states title with a total of 39 points, far above their nearest competitor.

The following Flucos were State Champions:

• Sophomore Alex Pellicane in Extemporaneous Speaking
  • Senior Madison Stafford in Humorous Interpretation (her third State championship title in a row)
  • Senior Corban Van Ornum in Poetry
  • Senior Kyera Watkins in Prose
  • Juniors Hailey Donald and Jordan Palmer in Humorous Duo (their second State championship title in a row)

There were also four students who placed in the top four:

• Senior Sydney Small, runner up in Storytelling
  • Sophomore Danielle Sumner, runner up in Original Oratory
  • Juniors Paul Nazari and Cameron Taylor, runners up in Humorous Duo
  • Senior Sammy Hagan, fourth in Impromptu

“This team has a lot to be proud of. It has been a long season (starting in August), a whole lot of Saturdays, and numerous setbacks and struggles. But in the end, they persevered and stood out on top,” said Coach Craig Edgerton.

Of the students that placed, eight qualified for Nationals and will represent Fluvanna in Fort Lauderdale in June. The team is holding a Speech Showcase and Silent Auction May 10 to help prepare for Nationals and display their best work. Come support the Speech team on their journey to Nationals.