Fluvanna Sports in Review 11/3

November 6, 2017

Senior Jordan Reimers performing with the Guard during half time on Nov. 3. Photo courtesy of Fluvannaphotos.com

Volleyball

In their district competition on Oct. 31, the FCHS Volleyball team took on Western Albemarle away, losing 21-25 in the first set and 22-25 in the second set. However, the Lady Flucos won the second, fourth and fifth sets with scores of 25-13, 25-20 and 15-13 respectively, winning the overall game. “The game went back and forth a lot, but we fought really hard for the win,” said junior Samantha Marshall. “We played hard and stayed positive.” added senior Madison Stolz.  

The girls moved on to Regionals against Liberty Bedford on Nov. 2, where they won only the first and third sets, and lost the second, fourth and fifth sets, thus ending their season. “Despite losing, we stuck together as a team and we played for each other, not just ourselves,” said sophomore McKenzie Moore.

Cross Country

Both the boys’ and girls’ cross country teams went to the regional championships in Rockbridge County on Nov. 2. Although the boys’ team fell shorts, the girls’ team qualified for States, with Fluvanna ranking in the top three. Emily Smeds came in second, Emily Beckman came in 8th, and Saige Haney came in 12th.

“I was happy I made a personal record of 20:15,” said Beckman. “Ms. Brogan said every place counts because we had to move on to States. That really helped motivate me,” she added.  “I think they really pushed themselves. They knew they needed to go to States and they made it,” said senior Alexis Ketcherson, who is out with an injury.

As a result, the girls’ team will head to Great Plains on Nov. 18 where the top seven Lady Fluco runners will participate, including Smeds, Beckman, and Haney, as well as Brianna Parker, Anja Vernatter, Hattie Lintecum, and Kristen Cabrera.  

Academic Team

The FCHS academic team traveled to Western Albemarle for their second meet of the year last week. On Nov. 1, the Flucos competed against Louisa, Charlottesville, and Albemarle, winning one of their three matches. They beat Louisa 190-115, but lost to Albemarle 130-295, and to Charlottesville 160-280. The Flucos scored 480 points in total for the night.

One of the team’s coaches, Matthew Morrison, said “I feel like the team is progressing very well. We’ve won a couple of matches in our first two meets and we’ve been very competitive in our losses. The team is full of kids who are either brand-new to the competition or have very little Scholastic Bowl experience, so we’re young and inexperienced.”

However, Morrison said, the team is learning and becoming more competitive. “I am certain that in the second half of the year we’ll be a team to reckon with, not only for this year’s conference tournament, but for several years to come. We’ve got a strong and talented group of juniors and several sophomores who show tremendous promise. This team is going to continue to grow and I see a great deal of success in our future.”

Varsity Football

On Oct. 27, varsity football took on Western Albemarle at the Warriors’ home stadium. Unfortunately for the Flucos, the 9-43 loss eliminated their spot in the playoffs, making the Nov. 3 game–the Flucos’ Senior Night– their last of the season.

Meanwhile, the FCHS Athletic Department and the Fluco Club worked together last week to raise money for the American Cancer Society in the name of Louisa Coach Mark Fischer.  Fisher, who is suffering from multiple myeloma and planned to coach his last game for Louisa on Nov. 3, was presented with a check at the game.

Fluco Athletic Director Scott Morris said part of the funds were raised by the school’s Fluco Club, which sold wristbands for $1 each allowing students to wear hats to school on Nov. 3. Fans were also asked to wear maroon to school and to the game to honor Fischer.

JV Football

On Oct. 30, JV football played away at Louisa in what turned out to be a surprisingly hard-fought game. The teams battled it out at a close score of 7-6 until the last minute of the game, when Louisa scored a touchdown, making the final score 12-7 in Louisa’s favor. “That was one of the hardest games of the entire year. It hurts to go that far and lose by one touchdown in the last thirty seconds,” said sophomore Matt Haden. Their loss eliminated them from the playoffs, but still left the team with a solid season record of 9-4.