Fluvanna Sports in Review 1 /21

January 28, 2019

Varsity player Junior Jules Shepherd driving to the basket in the game against Charlottesville on Jan. 22. Photo courtesy of Flying Flucos Sports.

Boys’ Basketball

On Jan. 18, the varsity Flucos lost a home game against Orange by a score of 68-55. Next, the team had an away game at Charlottesville on Jan. 22 which ended in a crushing defeat for the Flucos by a score of 68-36. The next night, the team traveled to William Monroe where they put up a brilliant fight and brought the game into overtime before ultimately losing by a frustrating 50-52.

“I think we have a good standing. We just make mental mistakes,” said junior Malachi Hill. When asked what could be improved, he replied, “Everything. The team could always improve.” The team’s record after these games is two wins, 14 losses.

Meanwhile, the JV team took on Orange on Jan. 18  in a home game which they won 47-35. On Jan. 22, the team competed against Monticello in an away game that ended in a loss by a score of 41-58. The next night, they met William Monroe in a nail-biting away game which went into overtime. The Flucos pulled through and won the game by a score of 53-51.

“We’re definitely getting better. We just need to work a bit harder and push harder to get more wins,” said sophomore Marquel Franklin.

Girls’ Basketball

The girls’ varsity team traveled to Orange on Jan. 18 and won by a score of 57-32. On Jan. 22,  the team faced Charlottesville in a home game that ended in a narrow defeat for the Flucos of 57-63. “The season is going pretty well. We’re playing more like a team and are much stronger than at the start of the season, thanks to the team bonding and spending more time with each other,” said junior Nevaeh Ivory.

As for the JV team, they traveled to Orange on Jan. 17 for an away game and won  42-24. On Jan. 22, they played a home game against Charlottesville which proved to be much closer, as the game went into overtime. Ultimately, the Lady Flucos could not secure the victory and ended up losing 31-33.

Forensics

After the Jan. 12 Fluco Invitational was cancelled due to weather, the team spent their time preparing for a busy stretch, including the Tournament of Champions (TOC) at Fort Defiance on Jan. 26. “We’ve made a lot of progress in the last week or two for the TOC. I really think we’ll take the sweepstakes.” said junior and Team Captain Alex Pellicane.

Team newcomer Evie Benson added, “Personally, it’s been a difficult season…[but] the team is also really helpful with giving suggestions. We are all one big family.” After the TOC, the team is looking forward to the VHSL regional meet on March 2.

ACE Team

As they neared the end of their season, the ACE team came out with two more victories, including a defeat of Orange by a crushing score of 255-85, as well as a win over Monticello on Jan. 23 which both Coach Luke Divine and Team Captain Bayley Leyshon described as a “grudge match.” The outcome of this match was in favor of Fluvanna, which cleaned up by a score of 265-155.

“It was a really good sign how well we did last week. We’ve gotten a lot better this year and I think we’re well prepared for Regionals,” said Leyshon. Overall, their record is an even 7 wins and 7 losses.

Indoor Track

At their meet at FUMA on Jan. 22, the team came in first place out of seven teams, with several Flucos breaking personal records. “It’s been a long season, but we’ve been working really hard during practices weightlifting, doing [abdominal] workouts, and focusing on our techniques,” said sophomore Aydon Duenas, who competes in shot put.

Sophomore Rocco Calderone, who runs relays, said, “We’ve been working on a team goal to beat Louisa so we can win Districts.” Their next meet is Jan. 31 at Woodberry.

Wrestling

The Fluco Invitational for wrestling was held on Jan. 19 at the high school. “Most guys ended up going four and one [winning four and losing one],” said senior Ethan Vernatter. According to Vernatter, the Regional “wrestle-in” to be held on Jan. 30 will determine who goes to the Regional match on Feb. 9.