Fluvanna Sports in Review 12/8

December 13, 2017

Sophomore Walter Stribling going for a rebound. Photo courtesy of Flying Flucos Sports Shots

Indoor Track

The indoor track team traveled to Liberty University Dec. 1-2 where multiple athletes placed for Districts and States. During the two-day meet, the following qualified for Districts: senior Kristen Cabrera (1000 meter run), freshman Anja Vernatter (3200 meter run), sophomore Kieri Hart (500 meter dash), senior Griffin Klauder and junior Colby Martin (55 meter hurdles), senior Jack Rice (1600 meter run), junior Christian Holland (triple jump), and sophomore Alden Custer and junior Joey VanDyke (shot put).

In addition, these track members ended by placing for States: sophomore Jules Shephard (high jump), junior Prophett Harris (long jump), freshman Emily Smeds (1600 meter run), and the girls’ 4×800 relay team consisting of Hart, Cabrera, Smeds, and senior Saige Haney.

Next, the track team traveled to Fork Union Military Academy on Dec. 6 where they were able to show off their individual strong suits. “ I think it went pretty good. We all had our events and put in 100% effort, doing our best,” said junior Kevin Alvarenga. The team participated in the basic track and field events, but the Lady Flucos’ pole vaulters went above and beyond, with sophomore Amina Wilson and junior Ashlee Pieno placing for States in pole vault. “I’ve worked really hard to achieve my goal of going to States and I can’t wait to compete with my teammates,” said Pieno,

Wrestling

The wrestling team brought the competition to the FUMA mats on Dec. 2. The team had a tough first day of the meet, but they pulled together on the second day with several placing, including freshman Tyler Haynes and junior Ethan Vernatter, who each placed fourth. “Most of the team did not do well the first round of matches, but we picked it up the second day and many of us placed in the tournament,” said sophomore Caleb Stoltz. Junior John Bland, freshman Shawn Metcalf, and Stoltz also placed in the top eighth.  

Boys’ Basketball

The JV basketball team took on Waynesboro on Dec. 5, giving the crowd one good game. The boys toughed it out through four quarters and were able to end the game with a final score of 46-40. “I believe as a team we are starting to come together and work as a whole. An individual who really stood out is Elijah Bullock. He had a ton of offensive rebounds and good shots,” said sophomore Leukas Koczan.

Next came the varsity game. As the captains were called and the game started it became very intense and the score was head to head in the first two quarters. The Flucos stuck together and continued to cheer each other on throughout the match. With Fluco fans, players, and coaches jumping and shouting their support, the Flucos won the game by a score of 56-42.

Girls’ Basketball

Jumping into the season, the JV Lady Flucos took on Waynesboro on Dec. 5. The Lady Flucos pulled together in the first three quarters, but Waynesboro came out stronger overall. “We kind of gave up in the end, which shouldn’t have happened, but we will take from this game and learn for the next one,” said freshman Kelise Thomas. They started off the game ahead, but Waynesboro took the lead, giving the Flucos a loss of 27-21.

Taking their turn of the evening, the varsity Lady Flucos tried to pull out a win, but ultimately failed as well, losing to Waynesboro 47-23. “We didn’t play to our full potential. We went in there overlooking the game instead of playing in the moment. It wasn’t our best game, but that loss helped us learn from our mistakes and how we can come together better as a team to get the job done,” said sophomore Kyia Scott.

Swim

On Nov. 29, the girls and boys swim team traveled to Waynesboro for their first meet. The team did very well with four Flucos placing individually, the girls’ team placing first overall, and the boys’ team placing second overall. The girls’ medley relay and the girls’ 400 free relay, consisting of sophomore Emma DiFazio, freshman Abigayle Harlow, senior Caylyn McNaul, and freshman Abigail Fuller, qualified for States. Fuller also qualified for States in the 100 fly with a time of 1:01.20. “We worked hard, swam our best, and won the meet,” said senior Rachel Muller.

ACE

On Dec. 6, the academic team headed to Orange for a meet against several schools. The Flucos competed in two matches, winning one against Powhatan, which counted, and losing one to Louisa, which was the equivalent of a scrimmage. “We did really well and worked really well as a team. We’ve got better as the season’s gone along,” said junior Bailey Leyshon, who is in her second year on the team. The team’s next meet will be in the new year.