FCHS Speech Team after a recent competition. Photo courtesy of Craig Edgerton

Fluvanna Sports in Review: 11/17

November 20, 2017

ACE

While fall sports have come to a close, the FCHS Academic team continues on with their season, which spans both fall and winter. On Nov. 15, Coach Matthew Morrison and Coach Luke Divine took the team to Louisa for a meet. The Fluco competititors– including four seniors, three juniors, and two sophomores– were able to show off each individual’s knowledge, beating Powhatan but losing to Charlottesville.

Speech

Under the direction of Coach Craig Edgerton, the Fluco Speech team had a powerful start to their season with a couple of strong wins. They attended the James River High School Invitational on Nov. 11 where they competed against 11 other schools and ranked 2nd out of the 11. Veteran members who placed included sophomore Alex Pellicane (2nd in Extemporaneous), senior Madison Stafford (1st in Dramatic Interpretation), and juniors Cameron Taylor and Paul Nazari (3rd in Duo).

In addition, a few team newcomers also placed at their first competition, including junior Emily Sprouse (2nd in Hilarious Interpretation) and freshman Simon Skinner ‘21 (3rd in Hilarious Interpretation).

On Nov. 16 the team headed to Broadway High School where they placed 1st in the tournament, with 13 students qualifying for the Tournament of Champions in January. Flucos placing 1st included Stafford, Pellicane, Taylor and Nazari, as well as junior Lily Dobrin, senior Sam Hagan, junior Trinity Haynes, and freshman Delaney Hammond. Juniors Hailey Donald and Jordyn Palmer placed 2nd, senior Simon Skinner placed 3rd, and seniors Corban Van Ornum, Kate Moncure and Mia Gonzalez, as well as sophomore Danielle Sumner, placed 4th.

Their next competition will be the Broadway Forensic Invitational on Dec. 9.

Boys’ Basketball

Starting off the basketball season on Nov. 16, the JV and Varsity teams scrimmaged Goochland High School away. The JV and varsity teams took turns taking the court and both made it through the hoops, although the game did not keep score. “Walt [Stribling] did good and so did Da’Shon [Carter]. The scrimmage went well. We are much improved from last year,” said varsity player and AJ Gregory.

The Flucos will officially start their season on Dec. 5 at the first home game where they take on Waynesboro.

Girls’ Basketball

Jumping into the season with a scrimmage, the JV and varsity Lady Flucos played a scrimmage game away at Robert E. Lee High School. Both the JV and varsity teams left that evening with a win. Newbie and veteran players had great chemistry and were able to put forth good plays and great defensive stops.

“I am really excited about this upcoming season. I feel like we can really make some moves this year. Our only problem right now is remaining focused and remembering the little things Coach [Chad] White tells us,” said sophomore Jules Shepherd. Their first official game of the season will be Nov. 28 at home against Waynesboro.

Swim

Now that the fall season is over, it’s time for the FCHS swim team to dive into the water. They’re starting their season with returning Coach Feda Morton while welcoming fresh faces, including junior Alexis Harris. “I’ve never been part of a team or even part of a sport, but the team bonds I’ve made with my teammates and coaches have really been a great experience so far. I hope that by the end of the season I am better than I was before and stronger.”

The team’s first official meet of the season will be Nov. 29 at Waynesboro.

Wrestling

While they won’t officially start meets until December, the wrestling team is hard at practice under the direction of returning coaches Michael Gore and Jordan Divine. While welcoming back a number of wrestlers, they are also guiding new athletes into the sport such as sophomore Tyler Haynes. “My goal is to become better as a wrestler and as a person. It’s not all about the winning, it’s about growth on and off that mats,” said Haynes.

The team’s first match will be Dec. 1 at Fork Union Military Academy.

Cross Country

With the season coming to an end, the female runners of the cross country took their determination to the State meet on Nov. 11, where most of them were able to achieve their season’s best time. Overall, the Lady Flucos came in 4th, the highest they have ever reached. Some of the girls that placed well included freshman Emily Smeds (7th), senior Saige Haney (24th), freshman Emily Beckman (26th), sophomore Hattie Lintecum (37th), senior Kristen Cabrera (54th), freshman Anja Vernatter (62nd) and junior Brianna Parker (67th).

In addition, Haney, Beckman and Smeds also made the All Central Virginia Cross Country team. “All the girls should be very proud of themselves. We have had a great season and finished strong,” said FCHS Coach Rose Brogan.

Drama

The cast and crew of the FCHS Drama Department’s one-act play, “The Amazing Angel-Man,” placed 3rd (out of eight schools) at the Super Regionals Theatre competition at Turner Ashby on Nov. 18.

Five Flucos received Best Actor awards and Honorable Mentions: Cameron Taylor (Best Actor), Alex Logan (Best Actor), Paul Nazari (Honorable Mention), Kate Moncure (Honorable Mention) and Mia Gonzalez (Honorable Mention).