Fluvanna Sports in Review 9/15

September 19, 2017

The Flucos focus hard to keep pace. Photo courtesy of Fluvannaphotos.com

Volleyball

Sept. 9 was a long and draining day for the Lady Flucos varsity volleyball team. Playing at Albemarle High School, the Flucos came away with a 1-4 record for the day after fighting hard against teams from Stonebridge, Western Albemarle, Liberty, and Fauquier. Their final game was a nail biter against Western with both teams fighting neck in neck for the final win of the day. At the end of it, the Flucos walked away with a tough loss.

“The girls fought hard and we learned a lot. That’s what tournaments like these are for, which is great. Ultimately, they had fun and played tough,” said Coach Christi Harlowe.  

The Lady Flucos were offered a chance at redemption on Sept. 12 when they took on the Western Warriors again in a home game. The JV team came away with a 2-0 win against Western, energizing their older varsity sisters. “Our serves and hits were really good, the team chemistry and support was the best it had ever been, and that’s what helped us earn the win,” said Freshman Heide Breeden on the team’s victory.

Feeding off of JV’s win, varsity’s first set was a tense race to 25 points between the two rivals. The Lady Flucos were close to a win, but eventually lost 24-26 in the set, then went on to lose 0-3 in the game.  

On Sept. 14, the volleyball team traveled to Louisa County High School. The JV team sent the Louisa Lions back to the jungle with a final score of 2-0, once again exciting their older varsity sisters.

Unfortunately for the varsity Lady Flucos, they had an off night, losing by a final score of 1-3. The Flucos were victorious in the third set, motivating the ladies to continuue to fight hard. However, the fourth set led to Louisa’s overall win, despite a close game. Both teams’ next game will be Sept. 21 against Orange County at FCHS.

Cross Country

Traveling to Orange County High School on Sept. 13, the boys’ and girls’ cross country teams ran up against schools from Orange, Louisa, and Powhatan. Placing 2nd overall with 42 points, the Lady Flucos persevered through a tough race. Three ladies finished in the top ten to contribute to their team’s final place. Freshman Emily Smeds finished in 1st place, Senior Saige Haney finished in 3rd, and Freshman Emily Beckman finished in 9th.

“We all did really well, despite how the course wasn’t as flat and fast as they said it would be,” said Junior Lexie Campbell, “but we just had to push through and stay mentally tough.”

It was a hard race for the Fluco boys’ team, as they finished in 4th place overall with 106 points. While the Flucos gave it their all, the top four FCHS runners were Junior John Bossong who placed 15th, Senior Jack Rice who placed 16th, Senior Ethan Solga who placed 25th, and Senior Conrad Graham who placed 27th. “As a team, we didn’t do great. It was a difficult course and we did the best we could,” said Graham.

Golf

Fluco Golf was away at Western Albemarle on Sept. 13. While the team did not beat Western, it was one of the Flucos’ lowest scores of the season, as they shot a 171. Western Albemarle scraped by Fluvanna with a score of 167. Among the top Fluco golfers of the day was Sophomore Justin Warner with a score of 41, Junior Jack Kershner with a score of 43, Sophomore Jarred Williams with a score of 43, and Freshman Ethan Yancey with a score of 44.

“As a team, we shot very well. We shot one of our lowest scores in years. We got in there, we made our shots, we did what we had to do, sank some putts, and the scores showed,” said Junior Ryan Groome on the overall scores.

Football

While varsity had a bye week, the JV team had a game Sept. 13 against Madison and walked away with an encouraging score of 35-0. Among those directly contributing to putting points onn the board were Sophomores Justin Sullivan, Keshawn Fisher, Cameron Holland, Cody Fulford, and Damani Arrington.

Picking up this win makes the team 2-1 so far this season. “The team continues to make strides and there were many good things that came out of last night. The kids still need to come to practice and continue to work hard and improve,” said Coach Mike Morris.

Moving forward, the team is looking to improve even more. “We are going to be good and still working on something, but still getting better and making progress,” said Sophomore Elijah Bullock. Sophomore Trevor Wade agreed. “We are growing as a team and there is still a lot to fix, but we will get there with time and practice.”

The JV team will take on Monticello at home on Sept. 21, while varsity will play at Monticello on Sept. 22.