Photo Courtesy of Asiana Hawkins

Flucos Show Up to Support Suicide Prevention

May 11, 2023

The Fluvanna County High School Sources of Strength/Fluco Club held a walk on May 9 to raise money and awareness for suicide prevention and the ConnorStrong Foundation. FCHS students were invited to buy $2 wristbands to participate in a number of activities hosted at the football field during 4th block that day. Some activities included kickball, football, getting blue or purple hair pieces from the Cosmetology Department, and buying food and drinks from the Culinary group. Hundreds of students showed up for the event.

Juniors Jacob Cook and Isabelle Garret organized the walk. “I lost a friend two years ago to suicide and I think it’s important that everyone learns about mental health and knows they have an outlet to reach out to,” Garrett said.

Fluco Club members are committed to the concept that whether you have lost a loved one to suicide, or just want to help others dealing with this issue, you can make a difference. “I just wanted to come out here and help those who are dealing with sadness or isolation,” Cook said.

For more coverage of the event, see this video from CBS News 19 in Charlottesville. .