Students Look Forward To Summer

June 9, 2021

As the pandemic seems to be coming to a close, many people are looking forward to a risk-free summer. Students who have been worried about finals and grades due to the unique circumstances this year are looking forward to a relaxing summer. Or in other cases they are preparing for college, or looking forward to a summer job. Either way this summer has been a long time coming for many individuals.

When thinking of summer, thoughts typically tend to involve warm weather, beaches, and bikinis. However, this is not always the case for high school students. Whether they are preparing for college, or just wishing for extra spending money, some students are hopeful to work a summer job. Summer jobs are a common part of a teenagers’ lives, and there are different reasons as to why they are eager to obtain them. One of the most common reasons is to save up for college. It is easy to assume that the majority of students working a summer job before they leave for college are desperate to save up for their future endeavors.

“I’m planning on working a ton as a lifeguard over the summer to save up for college. I’m going to be attending Coastal Carolina this year so I want to make sure that I have enough money to be independent there,” said graduating senior Lauren Davis. Even if teenagers are not saving specifically for the idea of college or independence, there are still a select group who spend their summers working to save money.

As the world begins to recover from the global pandemic, many teenagers are looking forward to the opportunities to go out and spend time away from their homes. The hope that many people have had that this summer will start a return to normalcy seems to be coming true. With Covid restrictions being lifted many people are hoping to return to a normal summer routine. For rising junior William Davis, his family’s annual trip to the Outer Banks is what his return to normal looks like. “I’m really excited to be going back to OBX this summer. It is always one of the best times of the year for me. Getting to go out on the beach and swim in the ocean is always really fun. I also really enjoy getting to go to Hurricane Mo’s with my family and the Barnetts. It’s one of our traditions to go there every time we’re at the beach,” he said.

Whether you are spending your summer working and saving money, or enjoying a normal vacation after an extremely stressful year, one constant is that if things continue as they are, people should be able to get out and enjoy themselves in a safe manner.