Does Tech Connect or Isolate Us?

May 11, 2021

The issue of whether technology is isolating or connected people continues to rage in America. Some people claim technology and social media are detaching us, while others say they are binding us together. In fact, a recent poll by NBC News found that “64 percent of Americans believe social media platforms do more to divide us” than to unite us.

Sometimes social media and other forms of technology keep us in touch with friends, relatives, and even strangers. It has become easy to share our lives, all over the internet, in a matter of seconds. There are stories, posts, and lives on many social media platforms. Showing your life to the world has become easy, quick, and ordinary.

This ability has its positive aspects. According to the American Psychology Association, a study found that the use of social technology is linked to fewer chronic illnesses and depression symptoms. Also, whether it’s a video call, phone call, or a simple text message, social media makes it possible to speak to whomever we wish within an instant.

On the other hand, there are many things about technology that can lead to social isolation. A person who spends too much time on the internet or on one platform can lose touch with reality and people. With less in-person interaction, they can become distant from people. Even if it’s a “social” technology, too much time spent on these platforms can lead to anxiety or depression. According to a 2017 study, people ages 19-32 who spend more time on social media feel more isolated than those who use it less frequently.

A lot of people have busy schedules, and it’s hard to stay connected with the world and keep control of everything that needs to be done. So one positive of technology is that it has made it easy to do both. There are dozens of platforms you can use to look at news from all over the world, just as there are platforms to keep you organized. According to Quick FMS, technology is changing the workplace for the best with organizational tools. Businesses are more productive, commutative, and protected by modern security systems.

So although technology can be organizing and connecting, it can also become very overwhelming. If you look at the news a lot, and find that it’s mostly negative, it can be isolating and make some people depressed. If you are struggling to keep everything organized, even with good platforms, the net effect of technology is that you could get overwhelmed. For instance, according to Thrive Global, working Americans spend about 7.4 hours checking emails every day.

So what to do in order to make sure you control tech and not let tech control you? Keep a good balance with technology. You can create boundaries, turn off notifications, and put yourself first. On some devices, there is a downtime feature you can set up to block apps after a said amount of time spent on them or at a particular time every day. With some apps, you can personalize the notifications you want to receive. You can also take time every day to spend time with your thoughts, away from devices.

Remember: You’re in control.