Photo courtesy of Fluvanna Photos

The 2021 Varsity Field Hockey team

Fall Sports Get Underway

Fluco fall sports are in full speed ahead, but with some different looks due to the continuing impact of Covid-19 restrictions. Here is an overview of how the season is progressing so far.

Football
Fluvanna football kicked things off on Feb. 27 with a 17-14 win over Charlottesville. The boys came out strong and overpowered the Black Knights. A week later on March 5, the Flucos suffered a tough 35-20 loss against the Western Albemarle Warriors. Coach Mitchell Pace said they need to be more aggressive as a team in future.

“Football is a violent sport and we need to play ‘hard-nosed football’ better than we have yet,” he said. He also went into detail about how far he thinks these young men will go. “Right now we have a great shot at playoffs, but we aren’t looking too far down the road,” he explained. He said their plan is to take care of district play and see where they go. They will return to the field on March 12 against Orange County.

Volleyball

Lady Flucos volleyball set things off on March 4 with a win for both Varsity and Jv against Charlottesville. Coach Christi Harlowe, head coach of the varsity team, said she was very impressed with the wins from both teams on March 4. “With a strong defense run by Lindsey Ward and the offense by Faith Shields, we will be tough to beat this year,” Harlowe said. When asked what the girls need to do to continue to be successful, Harlowe said, “Work together, stay positive, communicate, and play our game.” Varsity and JV will play again on March 11 against Orange County.

Field Hockey

The Fluvanna field hockey team is one of the newest additions to the athletic program. Although some of the girls are new and have never played this sport, they have loads of potential. Head coach Karen Sible said she is excited to see how much everyone has improved since last season and hopes to see some new faces. “We have to have to work as a team and support each other on and off the field this season,” she said.

After a tough loss on March 4 for both teams against Charlottesville, they will return to the field on March 11 against Orange County.

Cross Country, Golf, and Cheer

The Fluco Cross Country, Golf and Cheer teams had no scheduled matches at press time, but are continuing to prepare for their seasons.